Wine Cooling Unit

I have a wine cooler/refrigerator which has quit working. I think it may need to be recharged. (it looks like a small window air conditioner). Will a local air conditioner be able to recharge (R134a) this unit? I've emailed the mfg as well. Any suggestions on how to tell a good repair tech?
Thanks

Truth be known, by the time you pay for the service call and diagnostics, you will be close to the price of replacing it.
These units are more expensive than air conditioners. They run about $600. Is it still cheaper to replace than repair?
Tnx

Lowes has a new one for a little over $300
Just at my local Lowes. Where was the wine cooler & what brand was it?
Tnx

How old is the unit? It should have a 5 year warranty on the compressor, and possibly on the entire sealed system. I have also seen wine coolers at Lowes/HD for $300 or less, but if yours is a high end unit that will cost $800 to replace, it probably would be worth repairing. An A/C company probably would not want to mess with it. Check with appliance companies that do refrigerators and window units. You could probably save some money by taking it to their shop yourself, if possible. Good luck Larry
Any experience with Harris Blockade brazing rods? They're supposed to flow at a lower temp and provide a nice shoulder at the joint,
Any better then good old Sil Phos?
I gave it to my guys and they did'nt like it. It did not flow as smoothly.
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productIdY736-41077-VINO-24GN%20BLK

Yes, I'm your man,
A GOOD repair tech will first drink some of the wine to make sure the temperature is actually warmer than desired. If it is, he will diagnose it. If the findings are the unit is more expensive to repair than to buy new, a GOOD tech will help you drink the stock before it goes bad.
Where do you live? I might have an evening free.......
Rich.....
Ps. Germans aren't dumb people, they took over France didn't they? Not for the women, but for the WINE! They know their beer is warm and sucks big time..
Room temp beer is fine as long as it isn't budcoorsmiller swill.

--
\'Bother,\' said Pooh as he switched
between Animaniacs and Star Trek.

Only if you got Lucas refrigerators.

Yes... always test the product! When you get done there I have a frozen drink machine (Margaritas etc..) that has been sitting at the shop for 12 years. Perhaps one day I'll get it tuned just right... Cheers! :-)
Jim

I keep a bucket of frozen margaritas in the freezer as a matter of course.
"geoman" wrote:

One of my commercial clients converted a tiny undeground concrete bomb shelter he's using as a wine storage area. An old timer had cobbled in a window unit with a remote condenser. A few yrs back the 'system' needed a liitle freon as the client was concerned about some special $50,000 bottles of vino. i thought it was hilarious.....$50k wine and the cobbled together system.....
It does seem a bit out of context. Like having buckets of water for fire protection at the Smithsonian?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Tnx for the reply

Pls let us know when you get it fixed. I'm curious what turns out to be the problem. Without seeing it, I'm guessing dirty condensor.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.