Window AC Mounted Vertically

I have a small vertical window and have not been able to locate a window AC unit that will fit although I have found a couple that would fit if mounted Vertically rather than horizontally.
My question is can these units be operated when mounted vertically?
Dave wrote:

support the compressor will be ineffective.
There are various split systems with the airhandler & E-Coil built-in that mount high on the wall or on the ceiling. Mr. Slim "below" is only one of them. I would go with that type of split-system! The decision is yours, not mine! http://www.mrslim.com/Products/subCategory.asp?ProductCategoryID $&ProductSubCategoryID2 <http://www.mrslim.com/Products/subCategory.asp?ProductCategoryID $&ProductSubCategoryID2> - udarrell

can even be operated upside down. Dont try this with an older model. They wont work that way. Make sure when you install the unit that the plug is installed upside down too. Otherwise it wont work. Bubba

You owe me a new keyboard, Bubba!!
Jake

I wondered where the Irag minister of mis-information went-- Dam, its Bubba we found him :-)))))
Bubba posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

--
Tekkie

Hey Bubba, that gives me a new idea for the upstairs... I can just cut a hole in the ceiling and put the unit thru to the attic... it's hot up there anyway. What kind of screws should I use to hold it in place?

Easy, Silly:
If the ceiling is drywall, use drywall screws.
If the ceiling is wood, use wood screws.
If the ceiling is sheet metal, use sheet metal screws.
If the ceiling is concrete, use concrete screws.
If the ceiling is phillips, use phillips screws.
I swear, sometimes I start to believe some of the stuff they say about HVAC techs.
Oscar_Lives wrote:

Bob
-

Don't forget the ceiling sealing. We can't go off half-caulked.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 07:45:15 -0400, "Murdentech" <j. murden@ insight bb.com> wrote:

Doesnt matter as long as you use the longest screws you can find. You've gotta make sure you can keep out all the nuts that fall through the skylight in here. If they get into your attic and then in your home............heaven help you because there are some real screwballs that pop in here. Id hate to find em in your home. Bubba

I bought some the other day. The cost was through the roof!
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
No, a window AC won't run if tipped on its side. Please look for what is called a "casement" AC. Oddly enough, I have one which I tried to sell on ebay about two years ago. Still have it.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

.seod ti erus m'I
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

It has to be a basement casement. Most bargain basement eBay sales are from low-down cellars.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 23:50:07 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"

Sure it will. I just can't guarantee for how long...
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
My answer is "Go for it " Mount it any way you like ......if youre that way inclined ........just dont let the neighbors see you.
Oz