Window AC Mounted Vertically

I have a small vertical window and have not been able to locate a window AC unit that will fit although I have found a couple that would fit if mounted Vertically rather than horizontally.

My question is can these units be operated when mounted vertically?

Reply to
Dave

NO! Oil will be pumped out of the compressor, and the springs that support the compressor will be ineffective.

There are various split systems with the airhandler & E-Coil built-in that mount high on the wall or on the ceiling. Mr. Slim "below" is only one of them. I would go with that type of split-system! The decision is yours, not mine!

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

YES, they work quite well that way (only if it is a new model). Some can even be operated upside down. Dont try this with an older model. They wont work that way. Make sure when you install the unit that the plug is installed upside down too. Otherwise it wont work. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

No, a window AC won't run if tipped on its side. Please look for what is called a "casement" AC. Oddly enough, I have one which I tried to sell on ebay about two years ago. Still have it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You owe me a new keyboard, Bubba!!

Jake

Reply to
Jake

I wondered where the Irag minister of mis-information went-- Dam, its Bubba we found him :-)))))

Reply to
geojr

Bubba posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

But Bubba the power switch will say NO. How do you get around this?

Reply to
Tekkie®

My answer is "Go for it " Mount it any way you like ......if youre that way inclined ........just dont let the neighbors see you.

Oz

Reply to
Oztech

Hey Bubba, that gives me a new idea for the upstairs... I can just cut a hole in the ceiling and put the unit thru to the attic... it's hot up there anyway. What kind of screws should I use to hold it in place?

Reply to
Murdentech

Easy, Silly:

If the ceiling is drywall, use drywall screws.

If the ceiling is wood, use wood screws.

If the ceiling is sheet metal, use sheet metal screws.

If the ceiling is concrete, use concrete screws.

If the ceiling is phillips, use phillips screws.

I swear, sometimes I start to believe some of the stuff they say about HVAC techs.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

DIDO

Reply to
Dido

.seod ti erus m'I

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Doesnt matter as long as you use the longest screws you can find. You've gotta make sure you can keep out all the nuts that fall through the skylight in here. If they get into your attic and then in your home............heaven help you because there are some real screwballs that pop in here. Id hate to find em in your home. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

If the ceiling is 10,000 feet, use a parachute.... ;)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Don't forget the ceiling sealing. We can't go off half-caulked.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

I bought some the other day. The cost was through the roof!

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

It has to be a basement casement. Most bargain basement eBay sales are from low-down cellars.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Sure it will. I just can't guarantee for how long...

Reply to
~^Johnny^~