WHY RELAY for Humidifier?

I wish to have my Aprilaire 600 humidifier active during blower-on (instead of gas-on like my Carrier is set up)... I leave my blower on continuous... Carrier book says I need to use a relay off of EAC (115v) but if blower is continuous, and EAC is energized, why not just the Transformer to the Humidifier? What am I missing here?
Peace, Dan
Adding a bunch of water vapor to cold air is probably going to condense out and then you'll have water/mold/etc problems. That what you're missing?
dantheman wrote:

jamesgangnc wrote:

This true folks? The return air in the winter time isn't really that "cold"--around 72 deg... I guess I'd be able to see this condensing water at the filter (bottom of return duct)?
My problem is that the burners don't run often and long enough to allow the humidifier to do its job... small house... good insulation... HRV pumping out humidity... etc.
Peace, Dan
That means your furnace is oversized. Too late to fix that. Try some standalone room humidifiers. You really don't want to screw around with water in your duct work. Once you get mold in there you are f*$%&d.
dantheman wrote:

jamesgangnc wrote:

If this really is the case, then I'm pissed--this is one major job that I totally trusted a local "reputable" and expensive HVAC shop... all certified professionals to boot...
Peace, Dan
Don't know where you are so maybe it's just too early in your season. You want your furnace and ac to be sized so that they run a little while once they come on. You don't want them to kick on and run for a couple minutes and then shutoff. When they only run for a little while that's a sign they might be oversized. It's better to operate smaller equipment longer. Even better to have variable systems that can run longer at low speeds when it is more moderate outside.
dantheman wrote:

Now Now, junior........relax. They may have screwed up and oversized it but remember......have you done any home improvements since it was installed? New/more insulation? Insulated outer doors, garage door, weather stripping, windows, etc? Its not their fault if you didnt tell them. You can also downsize some furnaces in btu output by replacing the orifices. Keep in mind this needs to be approved by the manufacturer as a kit. Even so, I still recommend the proper size furnace. Bubba

Its rocket science. Dont try to figure it out. Just do it. Bubba
Connect supply water to hot water, install current sensing relay on common wire of blower motor Anytime blower is on and the humidistat is calling for operation....you have humidity I over humidify my house...BECAUSE I WANT to...I like a moist house

daytona wrote:

OK--but could I not just wire to EAC terminals and keep blower on continuous?
Peace, Dan
On the equipment I've serviced (Rheem), the EAC requires heat and blower in order to make power to the terminal. Terminal provides 110 volts, incidentally.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

You're stupid. The EAC terminals on the furnace control boards do NOT need a call for heat and blower to power the terminals. Blower only you dip. Bubba
Correct..
the HUM terminals or wire taps are only engaged when the gas valve is called for
So disconnect the HSI and just the fan will run making your humidifier run :o)

No offense but I already knew I was correct. :-) "Its not rocket science, you know?" Bubba .......and many of them (the hum terms) are powered as soon as there is a call for heat and not just once the gas valve finally gets energized.........but Im sure you already knew that too. Bubba

I'm still thinking it might not be such a good idea to run your humifier without heat. That increases the chances of it condensing out somewhere in your duct work. Not trying to start an argument or anything but there are some real horror stories out there about mold in ductwork. Once it starts you pretty much have to rip out everything to really get rid of it.
Bubba wrote:

Well, you're not arguing with me. I wouldnt run my humidifier with fan only and no heat. I also dont connect my humidifiers to the hot water line unless its a heat pump. Matter a fact, I installed a new Aprilaire model 400. Used it for about a week and turned it off. I dont need humidity in this house. 50 yr old brick on block construction with no wall insulation and 4 women in the house that think hot water runs from the showers endlessly. I have a virtual rain forest in here. Only insulation in the house is the R-38 I had blown in the attic. Bubba
On 7 Nov 2006 11:56:16 -0800, "jamesgangnc"