why is steam heat inefficient?

Page 1 of 2
"Steam systems are generally less efficient than hot water heating systems, but the efficiency gain of upgrading to hot water is probably not worth the expense"
I have heard this asserted just about everywhere universally, without a single justification. Why is steam heat less efficient? Is it intrinsically less efficient than hot water-based heating systems, or is it simply because its typical installation is more wasteful? My guess is that steam is less efficient because all the old steam pipes have had their asbestos insulation removed and haven't been reinsulated since. Add to that the fact that steam is much hotter and has less heat capacity than water and you have a recipe for a very inefficient system.
But bad practice doesn't mean steam heat is less efficient.
And what about other types of home heating systems, like forced hot air? How efficient are they? Does the energy source matter as far as efficiency goes? Are oil-burning boilers/furnaces more efficient than gas burning ones?
josh

You dont have an earthly freaking clue what you're talking about so either do some research before you open your "pie-hole" or STFU. Bubba
| You dont have an earthly freaking clue what you're talking about so | either do some research before you open your "pie-hole" or STFU. | Bubba
I know. That's why I asked the question. HAND.

Yeah, this newsgroup belongs to Bubba, and he doesn't want you to ask a question unless you know what your talking about and already know the answer.
On 21 Mar 2007 13:00:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Keeee Rist! Another junior mint figured out how to use the newsgroup. Fresh Meat! Game on! Bubba

air? How

goes?
I'm on first, who's on second?
Watt; Y is on 3rd; Yu on 1st

I don't know who's on fourth. Watt? Isn't he the secretary of the Interior?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I'll let you know I'm not that kind of guy. Maybe you want to try alt.gay or whatever it is.
On 22 Mar 2007 13:15:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Im guessing you really are but you just dont know it. LIfe must suck to be you. Bubba

Your guess: WRONG!!

Oh I think it would be very obvious.

Huh? Wow, how creative. Come on, no furnace jokes???

Bubba, you need to find a new pet... this one is BORING!!!!!!!!!
On 23 Mar 2007 12:15:10 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Sorry. You would need to be worthy to receive them and its painfully obvious that you arent. Dont let the skylight hit you in the ass on the way out.

This address all of that; http://www.steamingahead.org/casestudies/MoreCaseStudies.php

Where has this happened?

That is opposite of the truth and incorrect at the same time; http://www.heatinghelp.com/newsletter.cfm?Id 7
> But bad practice doesn't mean steam heat is less efficient.

Spend a few days over at Google.com . It's all been asked/answered.
-zero
Thanks zero. I've actually read a lot of Dan Holohan's stuff - he really likes steam systems and has written much of what is available online about steam heat.
| > I have heard this asserted just about everywhere universally, without a | > single justification. Why is steam heat less efficient? Is it | > intrinsically | > less efficient than hot water-based heating systems, or is it simply | > because | > its typical installation is more wasteful? | | This address all of that; | http://www.steamingahead.org/casestudies/MoreCaseStudies.php
They focus on industrial steam systems and how to improve efficiency. From what I could tell, they do not address whether steam is intrsically less efficient or whether the systems are poorly installed. Maybe you are implying it doesn't matter. I think that is Dan Holohan's position.
Try Dan's other website - http://www.heatinghelp.com/shopcart/product.cfm?category=2-109
| | > Add to that the fact that steam | > is much hotter and has less heat capacity than water and you have a recipe | > for a very inefficient system. | | That is opposite of the truth and incorrect at the same time; | http://www.heatinghelp.com/newsletter.cfm?Id 7
From what I can tell, hot water systems operate around 200f. Steam is at least 212. Specific heat of steam is half that of water. What I did not account for is latent heat needed to turn liquid water into steam.
But it's ok if I am completely wrong - it was simply a guess on my part. The point is, I am told definitively by the DOE that steam is less efficient than hot water heat. I just wanted to know if this was true and if so, why?
| Spend a few days over at Google.com . It's all been asked/answered. I have. That's a copout, zero. If you didn't know the answer, you didn't have to reply.

Not looking at gay porn! Look up steam related things instead. <bg>

LOL!
Nice troll.
Have fun.
-zero
If I had to take a really wild guess. It's cause steam needs to be heated to a higher temp than hot water. 250 instead of 140 or so. What happens, is that with a steam system the exhaust gaseses up the flue are hotter.
With a 90 % efficiency hot air furnace, the flue gasses are so cold they won't rise (naturally) up a masonry chimney.
A lot of the efficiency factor comes from extracting more heat from the exhaust, and sending colder exhaust out. I've not seen a 90+ efficiency fuel oil furnace. Oil versus gas, well, it depends on the design of the furnace. I've seen some gas furnaces that are (probably) 60 or 60% efficient. But I've never seen a 90+ oil furnace.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I should probably take SM off my kill filter. Some of his posts are just too funny.
FWIW, Chris, a steam system is about as efficient as any other 80%+ boiler in the dead of winter. Much less efficient in the spring or fall. Why might that be?

--
You could be replaced by an infinite
number of monkeys.