Which Mini Split for Coastal Area

Hi,

I've gotten a couple of estimates for three mini split A/Cs. The outdoor units will be on the roof of a four story building and my apartment is on the third floor. The building is about half a mile from the sea in two directions. One vendor is offering three Carrier units (19,000, 19,000 & 36,000 BTUs) while the other is offering three Trane units (12,000, 14,000 & 36,000 BTUs). (I don't know why the vendors disagree on the BTUs required.) The Carrier equipment has a much better warranty -- 10/5 versus 5/1 -- but I'm told it does not cover corrosion. Both vendors say the units are protected against corrosion. The Carrier vendor says he will change the outdoor units from a small, suitcase-like design to a piston design. I plan to purchase a service contract.

Any thoughts on what's the better choice? Is corrosion on these units a problem that can be addressed through proper maintenance? Will changing the outdoor unit type affect the equipment's performance?

Any help appreciated. Cheers, RV.

Reply to
RV

A fool and his money are soon parted...

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

I am a retired contractor forget high priced equipment the quality of the installation is what counts, - below is what I would do. No more than a 14-SEER unless you live in Florida or southern Texas. Save your hard earned money & get bids on the new good Goodman units! Get units' with the Scroll compressor & a TXV refrigerant metering device with a matched coil on all three.! Don't oversize & make him guarantee the installation to be right on all of them!

udarrell

Reply to
udarrell
Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

Goodman has apparently stopped putting scroll in 13 SEER equipment and has backed off the lifetime compressor warranty in favor of a straight 5 year all parts warranty. They apparently did this in response to 13 SEER becomming the minimum. So you have to go 14 SEER to get a scroll compressor in their units.

We are also noticing that 13 & 14 SEER equipment can be downsized in some replacement applications. The higher efficiency units of same capacity as the old system seem to be a bit oversized.

Reply to
Murdentech

I live in a coastal area and have no problems special ordering carrier or trane equipment with factory coated condenser coils. Its either heresite or thermoguard. check it out.

gofish