When to turn water off to humidifier?

Page 1 of 2
I have a General humidifer on a newly installed furnace. (It probably goes without saying that it contains a vertically oriented metal screen) I've had problems with it getting musty-smelling and consequently causing me to have allergy symptoms.
I've noticed that the water valve turns off only when the furnace fan turns off. Shouldn't the water turn off when the gas valve turns off, so that the when the fan runs for a couple more minutes the humidifier screen gets a chance to dry out? Most furnaces do this on the A/C setting.
Yes, it certainly should. So, call your furnace guy and ask for that to be rewired. It's not dificult.
Be sure to also ask if the screen should have been installed horizontal.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Replace the evaporative pad annually.

Nope.
Yup.
--
Respectfully, Bob

No it shouldn't turn off when the gas does, and yes it should run for a few minutes to dry it out? Then when is the water supposed to turn off? The fan already runs for a minute or two after the burners turn off, wouldn't that be a good time to turn the water off, too?
I've had the humidifier for about 6 months and had to clean it twice, so annually wouldn't be anywhere often enough at this rate.

Do you have an automatic humidity control? Do you have a standard humidity control that you have to adjust manually?
Or is it wired directly with no humidity control?

Normal
No
Sounds like your humidity level is too high for the conditions.

I have a standard humidity control. It does not account for outside temperature. I do adjust it based on outside temp.
But I don't understand why it matters how high I have the humidity set. The allergy problems are coming from the mesh screen, because when I remove it, the symptoms go away very quickly. And the screen smells musty, and the air discharge no longer smells, either. Regardless of where I have the humidity set, I still have a wet mesh screen, in a warm, dark area. Seems to me that the humidity setting has little to do with this.

manually?
So what's the humidity level in your house?
Get bobby to tighten that fan belt....HAHAHAHA
-Canadian Heat
DANgER (danger< snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote

Yup. That's right, Dangerous. I ask questions about belts and pulleys. You jumper safety switches. Then you jumper dead relays. We'll let the public decide who they want fixing their furnaces. Hey, Dangerous, the weekends here. Don't forget to load up on duct tape and jumper wires for all your repairs!
HAHA HEHE BWAHAHA LOLOLO HAHAHOHO
--
Respectfully, Bob

wrote

Weekend is here alright... that's why he can post...
...as he doesn't have internet access in his 'box' that he calls home...
...he has to wait to be incarcerated to get the benefits of the web.
LOL

repairs!
"Weekend is here alright... that's why he can post...
..as he doesn't have internet access in his 'box' that he calls home...
..he has to wait to be incarcerated to get the benefits of the web.
LOL "
HAHAHA bobby you want to compare lives now? I don't come here every day to bellitle homeowners who ask for help. I have a life thanks.
It obvious those of you who don't.
HAHA
-Canadian Heat
"DANgER" <"danger"@heat.com wrote in message

Sorry, people already know how to JUMP things out... lol
On 10 Mar 2007 01:11:13 GMT, DANgER (danger< snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote:

DANgER, you wouldnt know a "Life" if it jumped up out of a g26 and bit you in the ass. Bubba
HAHAHA it doesn't surprise me bobby, that you still don't understand how a g26 and it's relays function.
HAHAHA
I won't even bother explaiing it again, if the last 9 times didn't help you out.
HAHA
-Canadian Heat
"DANgER" <"danger"@heat.com wrote in message

g26 and it's

you out.

Go away.

I don't have a hygrometer, so I don't know. I'm going to try connecting the water valve to the thermostat so it turns off early.

fan
humidifier
Yeah, that's the thing to do...
Go messing with something you know very little about BEFORE you know all the facts.
I was trying to help your ass...

And I wasn't refusing. So talk.
Besides, what do you think I'm going to do, break it? I design electronics and repair my car or TV when it needs it, so I understand electricity and that's exactly what is involved here. I'm not messing with the burners or airflow, I'm turning off the 'friggen water to the humidifier. Big deal.
wrote in message

the
Then get me your humidity level...
What's that, you don't have a hygrometer, so GET ONE!!!!!!

Hey, I don't have a crystal ball in order to know your background.
MUST people that screw around with the low voltage control wiring, usually end up needed a new control transformer. LOL
But on a more serious note, why would you rewire the system, BEFORE you get the needed facts in order to PROPERLY diagnose your problem?

I will get a hygrometer, but really why does this matter? It's not like I'm keeping the humidity at sauna-levels. If you tell me to turn it down, it'll be too dry. And if you tell me to turn it up....well I doubt you'll say that.

That's fine, just don't assume I'm like Tim the Toolman Taylor.

Yeah because they short it out. The last time I burned out a power transformer (not part of an appliance) was when I was age 10. I learned my lesson.

To answer your question, because a) the (licensed) installer suggested this, and b) because A/C evap coils dry out by extending the fan run time. Where's the difference?
Besides, you keep asking what my humidity level is. I honestly don't know and I'm realizing it's not something I should have to worry about. I don't keep my house at tropical rain forest humidty levels. The way it currently works just seems wrong, whether or not this is the accepted method.