When Am I Short Cycling?

I timed my new unit and found it operating 11 minutes on and 9 minutes off with a 76 F setpoint and 82 F outside air temperature. I didn't get more than 1 degree differential. Three cycles in one hour is most definitely not short cycling, but got me wondering how many cycles an hour would be considered short cycling under these conditions. Five? Six?

Reply to
Rob

Get a bucket to measure the water coming off the coil in an hour. Get the complete pressures, temperatures and airflow of your entire system as well as the names and model numbers of your evaporator and condenser. The full load calculation of your house and the day and time you want to check it. After comparing what you have to the specifications of your system so that you know if you are within specs and getting what it's rated at. Post the data here and we'll be able to tell you.

Reply to
Bill

if you're that much concerned, ensure your digital t-stat is set up for 3 cph instead of 6.

if its 82 outside & you got your ac running, I'd say you're one spoiled sob.

Reply to
gofish

Well Rob now you got worry some In my house my AC may be on from 60 F and up but that depend largely if I have TV on, if I just took shower, if my wife is cooking, if she have prepare some Mexican been for me and boy that definitely increase the heat in surrounding where I am it may even cause the AC to run constantly, so cycling is last thing on my mine. Tony

Reply to
Tony