What to ask HVAC Tech

This was originally posted to a different newsgroup, and I was referred here.

> I'm looking for suggestions on what to ask an HVAC person to >> look for when inspecting the equipment on a home we're probably >> going to buy. I have a pretty good idea on what to ask, but >> would appreciate your experience as well. The home is fairly >> large, with 4 Heil A/C units, and 4 gas furnaces of >> unknown size. I don't have the model numbers of the Heil units, >> but see they use Copeland scrolls. The house is 4 years old, >> so the equipment is modern. I'll be getting an overall home >> inspection as well, but am planning to ask a local HVAC company >> we used in the past to come out to look over the equipment and >> to make sure all is right. Specifically, what should I tell >> them I want done and what should I ask for? The equipment is >> in two mechanical rooms, each on either side of the house, so >> there's no attic work involved unless you think there's a >> reason they should check ductwork in the attic. >> >> One of the split units does the heating and cooling of a great >> room, with a 18' flat ceiling. The dual filter return is on >> the blasted ceiling, 18' up in the air. Rather than buy a tall >> step ladder for changing the filters, would it be prohibitively >> expensive to jack the presumed upflow furnace up a few inches >> and slip a >> filter box under it? Have you ever done this? What other >> choices are there for this rather impractical filter location? >> >> The visit would take place during the "due diligence" phase of >> a purchase, but before we would close the transaction. The >> power is on, so I would expect the tech to cycle the furnaces >> and AC's to be sure they start and run. During that time, I >> suspect he'd check the refrigerant pressures. Would it make >> sense at that time to add refrigerant if needed, or would you >> have him come back? >> >> Any other thoughts, suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Reply to
Nonny

Dear Nonny, Must be a big house, having four HVAC systems. I've seen two, but not four. I'd want the HVAC guy to pull the furnace burners out, and look for cracked heat exchangers. Since they are modern, most like 90 percenters. Might not be practical to pull the burners like we did in the eighties, on the 70 percenters.

Try both the heat, and the AC. Maybe in that order. Warm the place up, and then cool it down. Look for cracked heat exchangers. And see if the AC runs with a reasonable amp draw. Check some temperatures, and see if the out door units need cleaning.

As to the filters near the machine, that does sound practical. Would mean one last trip up the ladder, to pull the filters out of the existing unit. Of course, the tech on the scene would be best able to see how practical this is.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ask him if he would like something cool to drink, show him where the bathroom is and get the f*ck out of his way.

That's how *I* treat service people who come into *my* house.

That's how *I* wish to be treated when I come into a stranger's house.

It's pretty simple really.

Reply to
HVAC

What do you do when you're finished with your beer and your dump ? :-)

Reply to
.p.jm.

Give em the bill?

Reply to
HVAC

It is really nice if the Check is timely and valid.

Reply to
Alexander

In Indiana, it is Union Coffee break time..

Reply to
Don Ocean