What's in your wallet?

Just checking for those of you who use credit cards to get perks to see what you're using. I've been using Capital One & its O.K., 1 % cash back or up to 2% mileage, but you'd better pay the balance each month or the interest charges will kill you. Some of the supply houses are charging 2% surcharge to pay your bill with a credit card now.

Reply to
Gary

A practice expressely forbidden by most if not all credit companies.

Reply to
over a barrel

I only use checks to pay the supply house, because the bank sends me photocopies at the end of the month for each check I write. Gotta love the paper trail, plus it gives me *proof* when they screw up my account. I use plastic for fuel, and it gets paid off at the end of the month, every month. The only other plastic I hold is a personal Visa card, and a company American Express card. I do my level best not to carry a balance. The Amex only gets used for travel, and *emergency* big ticket items.....like when I had to buy a new computer in January, because the old one crashed hard.

I suppose the next question is what gas cards do you carry and is there a specific reason for those particular cards.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I use a PetroCanada card because I get Petro Points redeemable for free stuff including lottery tickets so I can possibly retire before I am 90.

Reply to
kool

FWIW, I only carry Exxon and BP cards strictly because of their environmental practices and employee empowerment policies.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I like the paper trail too but soon that will be a thing of the past. A lot of companies are already doing electronic withdrawals even when you pay them with a check so you don't get a copy of your check back. Some places just give you your check back after they scan it. I actually find it easier to pay with a Credit card & I get a detailed statement at the end of the year & it makes it easier for tax purposes. Plus it buys an extra 30 days to pay for materials.

Reply to
Gary

I know but I don't have the heart to report a supply house that I do business with for charging to use a credit card. I called the credit card companies & they told me I'd have to file a complaint & they would investigate so I just dropped it. It's actually against the law in some states but not in mine, SC.

Reply to
Gary

A better practice would be for them to instead raise prices slightly and offer a "cash discount".

Reply to
over a barrel

I'm along the same line as Noonie. Pay with a check, take my 2% discount - / fuel, and "other" items pay with a discount credit card getting 1% back and NOT carrying a balance. Citi-bank has been good to me.

Reply to
Zyp

..LOL...

Reply to