what is aircon HP rating?

Where I live, automobile aircons are usually rated in tons (of ice).

Whereas house aircons are rated in BTU/h, kW or HP.

Now I know that one ton is pretty close to 12000 BTU/h and 3500 W,

but how is the HP rating defined? For example, the system in my

home office has specs: 12000 BTU [sic], 1.5 HP and 3200 W cooling.

Now 1.5 HP is not 3200 W, nor is the electrical input (1 kW).

Is it some compressor power, pulled out of a wooly hat or what?

Reply to
Kulin Remailer

1.5 HP = 1,117 W, aka slightly more than 1 kW. HP for AC work is never rated in numbers like 1.3 ( 1,KW ). 12000 BTHU / 3.41 BTUH / W = 3,5000 W 'cooling effect', or 'heat moved'.

Seeing as the heat is MOVED, not created ( like from a resistance strip ), the power needed to MOVE a certain amount of BTUH the quantity of the BTUH moved itself.

Take your pick.

Reply to
.p.jm.

With efficient ratings a ton is way less than 3500 watts or 12K Btu. My 2 1/2 ton unit is currently consuming a total of 2KW and that includes a fan. I may not have full refrigerant, but thats the way it is.

greg

Reply to
zekor

Huh?

Reply to
HVAC

Huh what ?

Reply to
zekor

If you're not familiar with the terminology of the trade ( and obviously you're not ), then you should STFU about it.

1 ton of cooling = 12,000 BTUH, period.

That has exactly ZERO to do with efficiency, or how much energy was required to produce it.

And how much energy your system consumes has exactly NOTHING to do with telling you how much cooling capacity it has.

Reply to
.p.jm.

Huh read my post huh you're an idiot huh.

Any other questions ?

Reply to
.p.jm.

Right. Here is your incorrect posting.....

12000 BTHU / 3.41 BTUH / W =3D 3,5000 W 'cooling effect', or 'heat moved'.

YOU have related BTU to energy . Watts IS INDEPENDENT of BTU and TONS. WATTS determines EFFICIENCY.

greg

malrescuesite.com/

Reply to
zekor

nimalrescuesite.com/

Resistive watts or heat moved would be the proper number in the formula, not how many watts it takes to operate a compressor and fans.. The OP started talking about HP and that is not constant for a given BTU output, just like wattage required.

greg

Reply to
zekor

That is correct. Notice that it says NOTHING about ENERGY CONSUMPTION to move that 3,500 wh aka 12,000 BTUH aka 1 Ton of heat energy.

Bullshit, you asshole.

Yes, I 'related' BTU to energy - because BTU IS A MEASURE OF ENERGY, just as are WATTS. And Joules, and calories, and horsepower, and lots of other units of measurement.

1 BTU = 3.41 Watts. Go look it up. 1 Ton = 12,000 BTUH. Go look it up.

What determines EFFICIENCY is energy CONSUMED vs cooling effect, moron. IOW, you have two TOTALLY DIFFERENT UNRELATED THINGS going on , both can be measured in Watts. One is the heat being moved ( often referred to as Tons here, but the metric folk use the term Watts or often KW ), the other is the energy CONSUMED, which is ALWAYS in watts ( or KW, KWH, etc )

Reply to
.p.jm.

What the f*ck are you on about now ?

You said "a ton is way less than 3500 watts or 12K Btu.",. which is wrong, and I corrected you. Deal with it.

Reply to
.p.jm.

I was under the impression that they were rounded to the nearest

1/4 HP. 1 kW is closer to 1.25 HP than 1.5 HP, so sound like a bit of marketing creep here.
Reply to
Orson Cart

Watts are power, not energy. watt-hours are energy. And you have it backward, 1 watt-hour (not watt) is 3.41 BTU (which is also why the $400 "miracle heaters" are a scam)

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

My bad, thanks for the correction.

Reply to
.p.jm.

I do not know what you looking for however BTU/h is more or less general figure. Example 1 ton= 1 hp=12000 btu that is at ideal manufacture conditions. take 1Hp at 120 Deg. F condensing may produce 8000 btus while same machine at 60 Deg.F condensing may produce 18000 btu. at this condition you may find that amperage did not change that much but it sure made big difference on output, and not even accounting on Humidity.

Reply to
Grumpy

Wrong. 1ton < > 1 hp.

1 Ton of cooling = 12,000 BTUH, period. No exceptions, no variations, no options, no nothing. It's like saying '2 x 2 = 4' - that's what it is, what is has always been, what it always will be, and you don't get to f*ck with the answer. The answer is "4" in the second example, and the answer is "12,000" in the first example, and if you don't like it - tough.

Now - how much input energy it takes to CREATE that cooling effect - THAT is a whole different question.

True. Neither of which are 1 Ton of cooling Thus proving that your statement that '1 Ton = 1 HP' is utter crap. As you state above, a 1 HP system ( 754 W ) may produce 3/4 Ton of cooling, or 1.5 Ton of cooling, or any other number that is NOT 1 Ton.

Reply to
.p.jm.

Right. Here is your incorrect posting.....

12000 BTHU / 3.41 BTUH / W = 3,5000 W 'cooling effect', or 'heat moved'.

YOU have related BTU to energy . Watts IS INDEPENDENT of BTU and TONS. WATTS determines EFFICIENCY.

greg

GREG IS AN IDIOT!!!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

What the f*ck are you on about now ?

You said "a ton is way less than 3500 watts or 12K Btu.",. which is wrong, and I corrected you. Deal with it.

Slap the bitch some more!!!!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

We both saying same thing perhaps explaining different ways!

Reply to
Grumpy