What Is a Furnace Draft Inducer Blower? I'll tell you what it is ...

Page 6 of 6
On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 22:50:42 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

MOST 30 year old and older units were grossly oversized.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 15, 5:20 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It's not the unit was oversized, the unit was oversized for the particular size house or heating application.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 08:16:19 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

What else did you think I meant? Pretty obviouse it is "oversized for the application" because if the same furnace was installed in an arena it would be grossly undersized.
The tendancy was to go with "bigger is better"
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 16, 1:04 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I would think for the installer, erring on the side of being say 20% too big is more of an issue of playing it safe. Worst case, the furnace runs a little less and is a little less efficient, something the homeowner will never bitch about. If theyt make the mistake of putting in one that's too small, then the customer is going to be screaming because the house won't maintain temperature on the coldest days. And that's a difficult problem to fix.
Add pictures here
✖

I would think for the installer, erring on the side of being say 20% too big is more of an issue of playing it safe. Worst case, the furnace runs a little less and is a little less efficient, something the homeowner will never bitch about. If theyt make the mistake of putting in one that's too small, then the customer is going to be screaming because the house won't maintain temperature on the coldest days. And that's a difficult problem to fix.
Here in the south, thats not an issue... the problem here is finding a small enough furnace with a big enough blower drive to support the A/C. As a rule, I install furnaces that are 2 stage with a variable speed blower... especially with dual fuel/hybrid systems, and its a very rare occassion when the second stage of the furnace kicks in.
Add pictures here
✖
..

They really aren't more expensive at all TODAY. With a 95% furnace you get a 30% Fed tax credit. That's 30% off the price to begin with. Then I get $400 from the gas company and another $400 from the state clean energy program. Add all that together and the 95% furnace is a no brainer compared to 80%
Add pictures here
✖