What Do You Guys Do?

I've had 2 different customers call and ask how much we would charge to install a heat pump system that they purchased. I tell them that if it's a simple change out, we charge $1000.00 and when we leave, the system is theirs. We will warrant the connections we made against leaks for 60 days, but anything else will be their problem. We'll come out and change warranty parts (or whatever), but the get charged the going rate.

I try to tell them it's not a good idea to buy stuff off the internet, but this one customer showed me the web site below. How in the hell can they sell equipment at that price???!!! Some of those systems are almost cheaper than MY cost!! I thought maybe they make a killing off S&H, but it's really not that bad. (BTW, the customer that showed me the site went with us and our equipment)

Half of those I wouldn't install (I have my reasons) but still, I don't see how they can sell them so cheap.........

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I got a call, three or four years ago. From a fellow who bought his own central ac, and realized he didn't really have the skills. Just charged a trip charge, and hourly labor rate. Got it all installed, and the system ran fine for a couple days. Came back out, and find that there is some kind of leak, I was picking up at the evaporator. My fittings looked fine, but I redid the silver fittings, and put in some refrigerant. Couple days later, same deal. He was supposed to take the coil in for exchange.

He wasn't really happy with my estimate of three hours labor (about an hour of that sitting and watching the vacuum pump). Five pounds of juice.

You have a good approach. Of course, a change out means the themostat and control wires are already run. Condensate drains, and so on. Each install has a few things which are different.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I simply tell them that due to warranty and liability issues, that we can't install anything that was not purchased through my company. I refer them to the manufacturers web site to read through the actual warranty for the equipment where they find that there is no warranty on any equipment purchased off the internet.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I simply tell them, "I don't install other people's equipment".

I don't need to go out of my way to find headaches!

Reply to
KJPRO

I don't deal in that, but how can any company rescind their warranty on new equipment. No matter where it is sold. Equipment bought locally can have instantaneous parts warranty. Local distributors tend to drag their heels on warranty on items they haven't sold. I can't blame them.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Read the new Goodman and Rheem warranties

Reply to
Noon-Air

My guess is that anything bought on the internet is assumed by the manufacturer to be bought by an unlicensed contractor. It clearly states it on some warrantie

Reply to
Gary

over a barrel

Sounds like a good idea to me.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

assumed =ASS = U & ME Dud

by the

Reply to
new jersey

assumed= Read the Warranty

Reply to
Gary

KJPRO's right. I don't install other people's headaches. Who knows if the lineset wasn't in mud before being installed? [I say that because I've seen it on new construction sites.] Who knows if the ducts right? It's just to open ended -

Reply to
Zyp

Hey Crabby :-) As you can see from the posts in here (Especially Stormy's) you have just put yourself into the same gene pool as Stormy. If you, Stormy and every other HVAC contractor start installing equipment that was purchased cheaply over the internet you may soon finding yourself only selling labor and NOT equipment mark up. Its your choice but I dont find it a wise one. These internet companies have it made. They sell a box, dont have to warrant it, and then give the names of companies in the customers area that will supposedly install it. Sounds like a nice GIG! Screw em. Break out of the mold and do things like charging for estimates. Ive even gone to this scenario: On a new install I give a 90 DAY LABOR WARRANTY. NO 1 year anymore. I DO however, offer them a 5 and 10 year parts and labor warranty. I HIGHLY advise them to purchase it and I make it reasonable in price. My main decision to go to this is all the shit parts out there that these manufacturers keep using and expecting us to replace them on our own dime. IF it continues, I will go to a 30 day warranty. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

"Bubba" wrote

Yeah, we've only done two over the past 3 years. Most of the time when I tell them $1000.00 to install they go elsewhere.

I think we'll just stay away from 'em. I got too much regular to keep me busy right now anywho.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I'm a bit slow for work. A couple years ago, I got a call from a guy who wanted me to finish up his install. Had the outdoor unit, and some copper on the ceiling. I cut in the evaporator, did the sweats. Vacuum out the lines. Some wiring. Open the service valves, get the system running.

Went flat in bout two days. I thought it mighta been one of my sweats. Redid the fitting, and put in couple pounds refrigerant for testing. Couple days later, no cooling. Found the evaporator had some serious leaks. Suggested he get a different evaporator, and call me back. He wasn't too happy about three hours labor, and five pounds of refrigerant.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I wouldn't be happy either... do you not pressure test or own a micron gauge? Or it is that you just don't understand *how* to do things properly?

Reply to
KJPRO

He spread it extra thin, as he was running low on supplies.

Reply to
KJPRO

Cause my leak beeper went off, right at the suction line sweat.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

leak beeper??? Bullshit. You dont even own one let alone know how to use one. Furthermore, its called brazing, not sweating. You "sweat" water line. You braze refrigeration lines. If you are sweating your refrigeration lines, and I know you are, then you are the hack we all know you are. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba