Weil-McLain on last legs...keep replacing parts or whole new system?

Hello,

Need some advice. Purchase a 1250 sq ft condo in July. It has a Weil- McLain AHE boiler Series 4 that was installed in 1994 that provides baseboard hot water heat and assists a hot water maker/holding tank. So far, this fall, I've replaced the igniter, the pressure switch, and oiled the fan (that equals 3 service calls). And now that it's January and -15 at night, I've hit a wall.

The boiler is still not operating properly. It fires occasionally, but though it will heat correctly for 20 minutes or so, the flame will turn off and the boiler will continue to run and circulate water until the external temperature gauge on the boiler drops to 70 degrees, or lower, before it will refire. Even though both thermostats and the water tank are calling for hot water. And only sometimes will it refire. Usually I have to flip the switch to the boiler, let it sit for 10 minutes, then turn it back on to get it to fire, warm up, heat the house (kind of) and then it proceeds to do the same trick.

Needless to say my gas bill and electric bill keep going up. And my place is not warm at all. And to make matters worse, my hot water maker (Amtrol) holding tank developed a leak yesterday in the wall of the tank, so that needs replacing.

So, do I: 1. replace the water tank and keep changing out parts on the boiler? 2: Replace the boiler and water tank? or 3: Invest in a boiler that doesn't require a separate water holding tank?

Thanks for any advice. This is one of the joys of homeownership, I realize, but I still would like a warm house and a hot shower anytime I want!

Cheers!

Reply to
alaskarockgirl

Take your Alaskan welfare check and help some poor hvac guy stay in business by buying a new boiler.

Reply to
The King

So the Alaskan HVAC guy doesn't get his welfare check too? poor guy.

Reply to
Fartikus

Perry had written this in response to

:

------------------------------------- Fartikus wrote:

Get you a Noritz instantanious Water Heater. No Tank, a lot more Eff.

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 27760 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Perry

YOUNG GUN had written this in response to

:

I prefer the munchk> Perry had written this in response to

:

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 28060 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
YOUNG GUN