Water Heater on Steroids

I ran into a water heater today looking like it was on steroids. Just wondering if anyone else has seen companies in their area doing this? A 2 yr old 50 gallon gas water heater by Bradford-White. The draft hood has been removed and a 4 inch elbow sits right on top. Then A Tee fitting with a barometric damper then reduced back to 3" and back into a brick chimney on an outside wall with 3 sides exposed to the outside. They have a 90% efficient furnace so the water heater is the only thing in the chimney. The water heater has a draft spill switch added just at the top front of the barometric and wired to the gas valve thermocouple to break the pilot flame circuit. Unfortunately this appears to be the brain child of one Jim Davis , somewhat of an excentric on combustion analysis. I just dont get why you would want to alter the design of a piece of equipment. It is evidentially done as an alternative to lining a chimney but doesnt always work. I can get pics tomorrow if anyone wants to see it. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Sounds like no room for a Vertical Draft Diverter. So, instead of ordering a Horizontal Diverter, he used a barometric & a T. Not so big of a deal in a industrial application. But for residential... I would follow the manufacturers recomendations for a horizontal diverter.

-zero

Reply to
-zero