Water dripping from condenser ???

I have a repairman coming tomorrow to look at my HVAC unit which is only about 3 years old but is dripping water from the evap straight through the unit and depositing it on my carpet. I just want some basics so I don't get taken.
Here is the unit the air handler/furnace is an Bryant FN The outside compressor is some sort of 38y Carrier
Both these came with the brand new town house 3 years ago..
Anyway here is the problem. Since it's a townhome my furnace/airhandler is in the shed which shares a wall with my living room. The filter which is in the living room sharing a wall with the shed has a duct that goes from behind the filter through the wall and up to the bottom of the Bryant unit which is on the other side in the shed. The floor/drywall right below the filter cover is all wet.
I went out to the shed and popped open the little 1" slat at the bottom of the air handler and looked inside. It appears that the angled evaporator is dripping straight down and missing that little 2" wide catch pan at the bottom of the evap. I think it may be icing up. When the water drips straight down it goes to the bottom of the intake duct and then down to the floor. This usually happens when the airconditioner cycles off and it melts.
The unit is cooling pretty well but I did notice that the compressor doesn't sound quite as smooth as it once did. It's not bad but it sounds just a little intermittent.
Any ideas what the problem might be? Could it just need a couple of pounds? If so, how could not having quite enough freon cause the evap to freeze up, wouldn't that cause it to blow warm air?
Thanks for any replys
MAB

You are fucked. Bryants are noted for this type of failure. Since you need a complete replacement, have them install a Rheem.
Nope, just found out this unit has a 5 year warranty. It I need a new unit it's on Bryant since the warranty covers parts and that is definately a part.