Venting a gas hot water heater

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 00:23:52 GMT, "Bob_Loblaw"

Ok AO Smith shows 3 or 4 inch http://www.hotwater.com/lit/spec/res_gas/ARG-SS01406.pdf
and Bradford White seems to use the 3 or 4 inch http://www.bradfordwhite.com/images/shared/pdfs/specsheets/104.pdf
and State uses the 3 or 4 inch method http://www.statewaterheaters.com/lit/spec/res-gas/SSG43-4.pdf
Or Ruud/Rheem which show 3 inch until you get to a 50,000 btu model http://waterheating.ruud.com/consumer/catalogRes_detail.asp?idv&brand=Ruud
American also shows only 3 inch http://www.americanwaterheater.com/WHBrowser/flameguard/lpfg11.pdf
So although this really doesnt prove a whole hill of beans I have still yet to find a water heater in a 50 gal gas at 40,000 btu or less that specifically says it only uses a 4 inch flue. Rheem/Ruud and American specifically say 3 inch only. What I cant understand is why you would want to use 4 inch? 4 inch pipe and elbows cost more and its costs even more if you start using 4 inch B-vent and 4 inch flue liners compared to 3 inch. AGAIN, you still specifically need to consult the flue venting tables and 99% of the time the 3 inch flue will work perfectly. I have a 2 yr old Ruud 50 gal 40,000 btu standard gas water heater and it uses 3 inch as specified in the manual and per the draft hood that came with it. Im really not sure what water heaters you have been seeing in the last 20 yrs and DaNgEr................you're still a fuckin clueless Canadian idiot. Bubba

40 gallon comes with a 4" draft hood

it proves most use 4"

Wrong. 50 gallon Rheem/Ruud use 4"

They come with 4" draft hoods. You aren't supposed to downsize. Why do you think the manufacturer installs a 4" draft hood if they want you to use 3" venting???

If it comes with a 4" draft hood, you aren't supposed to downsize the vent to a three inch.

Never seen a 50 gallon Ruud with a 3" draft hood. Can you post a picture of a 50 gallon, 40,000 btu WH with a 3" draft hood??
--
Respectfully, Bob

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 05:53:18 GMT, "Bob_Loblaw"

Which one?

Nope
Please point this to me. I wont say you're wrong but I didnt see it.

What does? Around here they come with 3 inch.

I dont. Where did you see that I said I downsize?

Again, show me that 4 inch draft hood. Here they come with 3 and the specs show the 3.

and if it did, I wouldnt but again, they use a 3 inch draft hood. Show me where it says a Rheem Ruud gas 50 gal uses a 4 inch.

Bob, You and I are obviously on two different pages. I DONT downsize them. They ARE 3" drafthoods and the links I provided show this. Read them. I have a 50 gal Rheem/Ruud 40,000 btu gas heater. Nothing special. No venter, no high recovery or anything strange. It comes with a 3 inch draft hood and it is NOT downsized. Read the links I showed you. Now just so you know, there are some instances where you can downsize appliance and it is perfectly ok according to the venting tables. Problem is, most code enforcement see that and red flagg it immediately. Bubba Bubba

It must be a regional thing. I checked the links and saw some 50's with 3" venting. All the 50's and 40's here are 4" unless they're a low input. That's why I couldn't understand you pushing for the 3". I stand corrected.
--
Respectfully, Bob

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:51:23 GMT, "Bob_Loblaw"

Thats what I was wondering. I didnt realize they made the same water heater with a 3 and/or 4 inch connection. I too could stand a little correcting. Bubba
"Bob_Loblaw" wrote:

just curious here Bob, do you ever seen super old venting done with transite? That's the norm around these parts. most all resi- gas venting 20 yrs or older is 4-5" transite.
bubba, even if he water heater had a 3" draft hood, he could still adapt it to 4" bvent. His question was if he could vent the single appliance up an interior 4" bvent. Simple.
You still havn't amswered by telling us how you would vent his appliance? Would you replace all the bvent with 3", run a 3" liner down the bvent? What would bubba do? Maybe get the customer to replace the thermostat HAHA
bubba I would run circles around you in the service dept! ;)
-Canadian Heat
-- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Can't tell a thing without actually *SEEING* the application, and installation. Under most *normal* circumstances, for what has been described here I would be looking at 3in B-Vent, unless the manufacturers instructions specified otherwise. If the vent pipe is too big, you will have condensation problems.

I don't believe I would want to go there.
"Noon-Air" wrote:

my money's on Bubba.
of course he's hosting alt hvac's 3rd annual fishing party, so i suppose that has some bearing... :-)
bubba is a dumb shit. read the original question, then read his replies.
bubbas not worthy of my consideration!
-Canadian Heat
-- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- -
On 18 Jan 2007 21:02:14 GMT, DANgER ( snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote:

Good. Does that mean you're leaving now? Bubba
bubba stands corrected? LOL
Funny how bubba tries to insult me for being Canadian.
HAHAHA bubba, you will never be as competent as me.
You still havn't told us how you would vent the water heater, that makes 4 times I have asked.
You just go on these rants never making sense, never helping anyone. Your a dumb old man, do the trade a favor and retire.....
-Canadian Heat
-- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- -
On 19 Jan 2007 22:19:25 GMT, DANgER ( snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote:

You freaking retard. I knew you couldn't read. I already told you how Id vent it. I told you I shove you fat white ass up the 4 inch b-vent and light the appliance. If you'd like anything more technical, you'll need to pay for my service to unlock your mystery question. I'm sorry you don't know how to properly vent gas burning appliances. And you are right. I'll never be as mentally retarded (competent) as you. You are in a class all your own. Do us all a favor and stay in Canada. I'm afraid what you might do in our civilized world. Bubba
bubba has tourettes!
You answered the original question regarding water heater venting, and provided false information. = THAT MEANS U A DUMB SHIT!
I answered and provided correct information. = I OWN YOU BUBBA
We have subsequently discovered I was correct and you were indeed incorrect.
Hard to teach an old dog new tricks. You have no technical skill bubba Do everyone here a favor and get lost!
-Canadian Heat
-- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- -
On 18 Jan 2007 21:02:14 GMT, DANgER ( snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote:

Read? I didnt know Canadians of your breed could read. Bubba
snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote

Never heard of it. What is it?
--
Respectfully, Bob

"Bob_Loblaw" wrote:

pipe made from asbestos & cement. perfectly ok for natural draft appliances, a major killer of electronic ignition systems. all too often the un-educated replace a natural draft appliance with an induced draft appliance, only to have major condensation occur in the old transite.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transite
Why would you heat hot water? It's already hot.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Ya, but it gets cold if you don't keep heating it....
--
Respectfully, Bob