Vehicle AC vs Home AC

Hello all,

(We are in Phoenix, AZ)

A while back, my mechanic told me that I need to run the AC in my car about once a week (even when it is not needed...ie, in the winter) because there is oil (or somethin'-r-other) in with the ?Freon? that keeps the seals from drying out and cracking, preventing the system from leaking.

In this regard, does home AC units work the same way?

A co-worker left for 3 weeks to get married and go on their honeymoon and they shut their AC unit off. When they got back, it wasn't cooling. They called a repairman out on a Sunday and had to pay steep emergency/overtime rates. He recharged their system and then told them that the thing was going bad and would need to be replaced. Could this have been prevented if they had left their AC on, set to 80 or so...to prevent the minimal amount of cycling on (they do not have a programmable thermostat)?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly

--------------------------- "Smokin' weed kills your brain cells. Drinkin' only screws up your liver...ya got 2 a those." - Earl Hickey (NBC's "My Name is Earl")

Reply to
Conan Kelly

Oil in the refrigerant... also running in defrost mode turns on the a/c system.

No, as residential units don't have rubber seals or hoses that leak. Unless you live in a manufactured home where they use AeroQuip fittings.

No, it wasn't running properly *before* they left.

BTW, when was the last time they had it looked at, before their marrage? (poor sucker)

Reply to
KJPRO

Central AC at home are not shaft driven compressors, and don't have seals like on the car.

People have one liver.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin...,

Thanks for the feedback.

I know that. Tell Earl that. I just thought it was a funny quote. If you watch the show and you know what kind of character Earl is, then you can understand the quote better.

Thanks again,

Conan

Reply to
Conan Kelly

KJPRO,

Thanks for the feedback.

The just bought the house back in February. I don't know if they had the system thoroughly inspected during the home inspection for the purchasing process. They have a home warranty that the seller paid for. Hopefully that will cover the cost of the new system.

Thanks again for all of your help,

Conan

Reply to
Conan Kelly

Nope, they (the warranty company) will just hire the cheapest hack in town and have them patch it...

Reply to
KJPRO

Since when are residential compressors not shaft driven??? Try looking up the meaning of hermetic...

You really are a clueless freaking retard!!!

Reply to
KJPRO

Wrong, Chris isn't capable of understanding *anything* correctly.

Reply to
KJPRO

Happy to share. We tradesmen can be kind of literal. We deal in numbers, measurements, and so on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or fill it, which ever comes first! :)

Reply to
Zyp

Its not coolin, it must need some more of that "freezone stuff"

Reply to
Noon-Air

Or a capcitator.

Reply to
12334

Hit's at termostat agin!

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Petre

Be sure they add the whole jug. Don't take no for answer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is it, now, an incapacitator?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

But first to have to reset the breaker a dozen times...

Reply to
Joseph

Then wait for 1 PM on Sunday afternoon to call, and expect it to be fixed for free.

Reply to
Noon-Air

only if the repairman happen to be some hack- morman for instance he's 'helping out his congregation" by trolling all about town underaged girls while at the same time he's overcharging them up the ass for some un-needed coil cleaning.

Reply to
over a barrel

What's a "morman"?

I thought the breaker reset people call about 10 PM on Sunday night, cause they want to cool the house enough to sleep.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon