Vacuuming HEPA filter

Page 1 of 2
As a gift, I received a circular Honeywell air purifier, model 50100. It has a "Lifetime HEPA Permanent Filter" which one is suppose to vacuum. I'm trying to make sense of this logic. When you vacuum the HEPA filter, you're pulling the fine particles away from the filter and spewing it everywhere via the vacuum cleaner. I'm sure there's some logic behind it, but it just isn't all that obvious right now. Insights are appreciated.

Do it outside?
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Yes, that option occurred to me. I'm trying to avoid it, since I live in a highrise (no balcony). Also, many appliances warn users not to use them outside. I've never known why, but of the prevalence of the warning, it is likely to be well-founded.

Hey!! You learn pretty quick. How bad did you get screwed when they bent you over for that thing?? Did you get kissed after??
Of course, you could do the vacuuming outdoors, and disperse all them nasy particles out to the world. At least they would not be indoors with you.
You could also clean the filter with compressed air, and not worry about the vacuum bag. Just clean out the filter at your local auto repair garage, where they won't notice the extra particles.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, that option occurred to me. I'm trying to avoid it, since I live in a highrise (no balcony). Also, many appliances warn users not to use them outside. I've never known why, but of the prevalence of the warning, it is likely to be well-founded. However, it may be the only practical one.

If that is required, I'd probably exchange it for another make. This model was probably meant for house dwellers with a garage containing a shop-vac. But the vacuuming outdoors is certainly a possibility (still seeking others).

it does seem ironic but, theoretically the a good vacuum will suck up the dirt and dust in the in the filter not just spew it around.
Here are some more ideas about how to clean the air in your home, http://www.familiesonlinemagazine.com/home-improvement/8071.php
gjensen wrote:

A good vaccuum that would not spew out the small particles that a HEPA filter is meant for would be vacuum that itself has a HEPA filter. I acknowledge that there may be cases where it makes sense to clean one HEPA filter by at the expense of another one (e.g. if the 2nd one was way cheaper), but I think I'd like to avoid purchasing a HEPA filtered vacuum at this point.

Interesting. The website advises keeping windows open for fresh air. The Honeywell air purifier requires the opposite. That is, the instructions advise running it all the time with windows and doors closed. That probably minimizes the particulate matter in the air, but probably traps and accumulates chemicals or outgassing from products for which that is a problem. Because of these instructions, I would say that the HEPA filter air purifier is of greater utility in the winter, when the windows are closed anyway.
anywebsite that suggests people keep their windows open is not exactly advocating better air. It maybe ( just maybe) be better then recirculating bad air but not much especially if the particulate pollution is high in which case the advice is horrible

Hi, I have a unique website www.iamallergicto.com. Due to my financial dificulties I am not able to advertise & promote my website on the global web. Please help me make this website popular. Any suggestions on how to advertise this website for free would be appreciated.
Thanks
www.iamallergicto.com

Free??? nope.... not a chance. BTW...welcome to my killfile spammer
*PLONK*

Sure--anywhere but here; this is a support group. However, you can get creative about placing your site into search engines with selected keywords.
it makes no sense at all. the filter gets dirty,, you vacumming it will never get the vast majority of dirt that will infiltrate it. Its a ploy and its a horrible ploy too. They should be sued

mcs wrote:

Well, I could always just switch to another make if I don't figure out a good solution.
It is possible that they intend only to remove the "large" particles from the surface of the deeply pleated filter -- those not caught by the prefilter. Some of the fine particles for which the HEPA filter is meant may also be drawn away, but that may not be the main purpose.

ps. its almost as bad as the electric radio shack model air cleaner they use to see with an ionizer and somekind of bulb to kill the dust and an ionizer. The stuff gives off an electrical smell and some dirt accumulates on the metal grids. What a hell of a joke that is on the consumer. I accumulate more dirt on my tv than that thing takes in and I get a horrific smell too and God knows what else that thing does to make it worse for ya.

mcs wrote:

When I last looked at Consumer Report, many years ago, the ionizers weren't so good.

Dubious Dude wrote:

be vacuumed. They need to be replaced when full. If you have to wash the filter your taking the chance of mold or bacteria growth. Don't trust Honeywell's off the wall claims! Also Honeywell HEPA air cleaners have a VERY low air exchange rate per hour even in a small bedroom sized area.

installing bag into vacuum cleaner will help

Ecodude wrote:

I never like HEPA filters, but they work well in disk drives. For volume efficiency, use an electrostatic filter. I have used several whole house system filters on the furnace/air, and the best are the 3M but also have lower thermal efficiency. You can also wash many of the fiber electrostatic air filters, but the cardboard makes it difficult. If they were made it out of plastic, you could easily clean them.