Vacuum Pump Oil - closest "tide me over" substitute

Let's assume you discover your pump is totally dry on a weekend job and your jug of vacuum pump oil is empty and Johnstone Supply is closed until Monday. Now let's also assume there's a NAPA auto parts nearby with a wide selection tranny fluid, hydraulic fluid, compressor oil and motor oil.
Is there a substitute oil that'll do the job without damaging your pump until you can get the right stuff?
If so, what's the best short term substitute??

Go inside and ask for a guy named "Turtle"...
--
Respectfully, Bob

If memory serves, Turtle used to use ND-30 motor oil. Anyone else remember that?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Turtle used hydrofluoric acid and an 80-grit belt sander on the coils.
That reminds me of a guy back home in the late 60's--he had a 1957 Pontiac and the brake system was full of leaks. Whenever he wanted to go somewhere, he would fill the up with water. To the OP's question, no good excuse for not having the right supples on hand, but stuff happens, Murphy"s Law, the best laid plans of mice and men, etc. Hell, the Leonard Skynard bunch's plane ran out of gas and crashed. The auto parts stores used to carry mineral based refrigeration oil for car a/c, though they may be getting away from that now as non134A systems are getting fewer as time goes by. If you just absolutely had to put something else in a vac pump, that would be my guess as to the least possibly harmful. As soon as possible though, I would drain it, refill it with vac pump oil, run it blocked off for a while, and change it again. Actually, as I think about it, I seem to remember seeing vac pump oil at some auto parts stores, but I am not 100% positive about that. Larry
The thing to do is to stay away from detergent oils, the detergents will bind with any free water.
And the "motorcycle" oil is a scam. The ratings are on the oil for a reason. Your manual also specifies the minimum grade oil you can use. I've been running automotive oil in motorcycles for 30+ years with no reason to beleive it has ever caused a problem.
lp13-30 wrote:

I was told I need specific oil because of the wet clutch, anti-foaming agencies and such...I think it's bullshit, but for the money, it's not worth me taking a chance on screwing up my engine. But I still think I'm getting hosed....
--
Respectfully, Bob

Actually there is a measure of truth to what you have been told. It's not that you need motorcycle oil. It is that you need to avoid specific types of automotive oil that include friction reducing additives. Often labeled as "energy conserving". These additives do cause problems for any wet clutches. There is a fair bit of info on the net about it. As long as you avoid those you can freely use quality brand oil from walmart with no worries.
Bob_Loblaw wrote:

Do you know off-hand what it is about these particular additives that cause problems? Is it foaming? I've read many articles online, but I get conflicting info.
--
Respectfully, Bob

Everything I have read says they cause the clutch to slip. I have not experienced it myself, not because I always knew better, but just because I never happened to use any of them before I found out not to.
Bob_Loblaw wrote:

That's what he put on his salad...
--
Respectfully, Bob

non-detergent motor oil 30 wt

How much money are you saving by using a substitute oil?? Really?? By "you" I mean anyone who does this. Is it worth it, risking damaging your vac pump to save a couple of bucks?? Is your profit margin that thin that you have to use something other than what the manufacturers call for?? Motorcycle oil is much more expensive than automotive oil, and I have read many articles that claim it's a scam purpetrated by the oil companies. It most likely is, but am I going to risk damaging my bike engine in order to save $30 to $50 a year???? Not this guy.
--
Respectfully, Bob

"Bob_Loblaw" wrote:

no guts, no glory ! :)
i dunno who buys your vac pumps, but my customers buy me the tools i need to work on their stuff. they also buy my gasoline and motor oil.
wait til they find out where they'll be paying for our annual corporate board meeting this year.
Read the OP's post. He didn't say he wanted to save money. He wanted an alternative oil he could use in a pinch.
So I assume that if you're at a weekend job and the homeowner needs heat right away you'd prefer to abandon the job until you could trot into Johnstones and get real vacuum pump oil??
Bob_Loblaw wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Here's a thought....why not have an extra bottle of the stuff in your shop for emergencies, the same way you stock motors, ventors, t/couples, hsi's,.... Is it so hard to plan ahead ???
--
Respectfully, Bob

replying to Bob_Loblaw, Rod Lancaster wrote: This was the least helpful bunch of posts I've ever seen.
On 4/16/2016 6:44 PM, Rod Lancaster wrote:

Try posting to usenet the usual way, not from a web forum.
--
.
Christopher A. Young