UV light on HVAC question

Page 1 of 2

My sister-in-law has a gas, forced air, central HVAC system with an Aprilaire humidifier attached. She said that a plumber who was there fixing a kitchen faucet leak saw her HVAC system and suggested that she should get a UV light put in. He told her that without one, mold develops, and with one she could prevent mold and even help prevent spreading things like the H1N1 flu virus.
She asked me if I knew anything about that -- using UV lights in an HVAC system -- which I don't. I asked her if the guy said how much something like that might cost and he said around $1,000.
Is the use of UV lights in HVAC's for real and something that homeowner's should have installed?
And, if so, can anyone give me a general idea of what something like that might typically cost for an HVAC person to install?
Thanks.

    Bullshit. He's lying.

    Now you know why he suggested it.

    Dunno offhand, but a damned sight less than $ 1,000.
    Tell her to never hire him again.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Open site below and you be the judge
http://www.allergyconsumerreview.com/mold-prevention-uv.html

I have checked out various websites, but it's hard for me to know what the truth is. Most, or all, of the websites have something to sell. I had never heard of adding UV lights to an HVAC system until now, and I don't know anyone who has a UV light in their HVAC system. So, that's why I am curious what the truth is about this.

pretty simple deal to install one in a residential application and although I cant quote the cost its no where near a grand for something for residential use.
Jay-T wrote:

They have become quite common in homes that have someone with breathing problems and areas that have mold problems. You also might consider a good whole house dehumidifier if the mold problem is bad. A high hepa air filter might also help. Why don't you shop around for a reputable and educated HVAC shop for a consult.

couple of zip screws. Space is no problem.

It is GREAT if you got a bunch of Peter Max posters inside your ductwork. Kind of reminds you of the good ol days back in the '70s.
Good to know! Thank You

Here's a goofy YouTube.com video that I found earlier that shows the installation process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdFvnzctdMo

I would have no interest in doing it myself, and I don't even know if everything in the video is correct. But at least it shows the general concept which I didn't know before seeing the video.
Grumpy wrote:

Jay-T wrote:

Just a couple of Hundred at most with material and labor on a normal job. In fact the materials are getting cheaper as time gose by.

Don Ocean wrote:

Thanks. I'll pass the info on to my sister-in-law.
From an EPA site that someone else posted, there seems to be some question as to how effective the UV system really are. But, they don't seem to be harmful, and if they may be helpful to some extent, and if they cost more like a few hundred dollars than a thousand dollars to have installed, I think she may want to go ahead and have it done.
I don't know of any experienced HVAC people in her area in particular that would be a good choice to use, and I don't think she does either. Obviously, she shouldn't use or go through the plumber who told her it would cost about a thousand dollars. She lives near Langhorne, Pennsylvania (I am in New Jersey). However, she and I can do some asking around through people in that area to get some suggestions or recommendations.
Jay-T wrote:

It doesn't take a highly qualified tech to use a hole saw for the needed 1 inch or there abouts hole and insert the tube...Run a sheet metal screw into the retaining bracket and plug it into 110VAC. An Apprentice can do a laudable job. The medical profession here recommends those on a regular basis for any folks with breathing problems, mold and viruses. I personally have installed a number of them and folks seem satisfied that they work. Couldn't prove it by me though. For your technical questions, you should speak with a contractor that is knowledgeable on these subjects. Your local health department can also guide you as to their value in subduing mold etc. The building engineer at any hospital would also be of value if you can get one to take time to talk to you.

Aparently, some short wave UV kills some kinds of mold or other growth. The UV bulbs they use are the "don't look at them, you'll go blind" kind. But, they are installed inside a metal duct where people don't look at them. How effective? I'm not sure. I've never worked on a system with a UV installed.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:18:34 -0500, "Real Pisser"

Notice how most of the simpletons shit starts with, Im not sure.

But in Alt home repair, he is a genius (hehe)

Thats pretty scary.
Steve wrote:

Not necessarily. Crossposting from that group has dropped for possibly that reason alone. Stormy is our secret weapon.