UV light on HVAC question

My sister-in-law has a gas, forced air, central HVAC system with an Aprilaire humidifier attached. She said that a plumber who was there fixing a kitchen faucet leak saw her HVAC system and suggested that she should get a UV light put in. He told her that without one, mold develops, and with one she could prevent mold and even help prevent spreading things like the H1N1 flu virus.

She asked me if I knew anything about that -- using UV lights in an HVAC system -- which I don't. I asked her if the guy said how much something like that might cost and he said around $1,000.

Is the use of UV lights in HVAC's for real and something that homeowner's should have installed?

And, if so, can anyone give me a general idea of what something like that might typically cost for an HVAC person to install?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jay-T

Bullshit. He's lying.

Now you know why he suggested it.

Dunno offhand, but a damned sight less than $ 1,000.

Tell her to never hire him again.

Reply to
.p.jm.

Open site below and you be the judge

Grumpy

I have checked out various websites, but it's hard for me to know what the truth is. Most, or all, of the websites have something to sell. I had never heard of adding UV lights to an HVAC system until now, and I don't know anyone who has a UV light in their HVAC system. So, that's why I am curious what the truth is about this.

Reply to
Jay-T

Hospitals use them to kill bacteria, viruses and mold spores. Its a pretty simple deal to install one in a residential application and although I cant quote the cost its no where near a grand for something for residential use.

Reply to
The King

Just a couple of Hundred at most with material and labor on a normal job. In fact the materials are getting cheaper as time gose by.

Reply to
Don Ocean

They have become quite common in homes that have someone with breathing problems and areas that have mold problems. You also might consider a good whole house dehumidifier if the mold problem is bad. A high hepa air filter might also help. Why don't you shop around for a reputable and educated HVAC shop for a consult.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Aparently, some short wave UV kills some kinds of mold or other growth. The UV bulbs they use are the "don't look at them, you'll go blind" kind. But, they are installed inside a metal duct where people don't look at them. How effective? I'm not sure. I've never worked on a system with a UV installed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

what a big surprise to everybody!

Reply to
Real Pisser

Notice how most of the simpletons shit starts with, Im not sure.

Reply to
The King

But in Alt home repair, he is a genius (hehe)

Reply to
Real Pisser

Thats pretty scary.

Reply to
Steve

Are you saying that you will look them over? ;-p

Reply to
Don Ocean

Is this some kind of a Christmas thing? Being cruel to dumb animals and Mormons? Merry Christmas Stormy, and the rest of you folks too.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Not necessarily. Crossposting from that group has dropped for possibly that reason alone. Stormy is our secret weapon.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Something special for Stormy from the tonight show & Conan Obrien and Oren Hatch

Real Pisser

Naah, being cruel to animals is an all year sport.

Merry Christmas, Don.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks! I near to fell off my chair, laughing. The Tapernacle quire was a hoot.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Jay I know what you saying there is lot of rip-offs artist out there however look up Manufacture specs. which you can trust perhaps little more then individual stores. Yes UV lights are use for many different things but most to kill bacteria and stop bugs from interring in the sensitive area, you will see them in most are all food processing plant and in hospitals at back doors ETC. WW Grainger is carrying them also. perhaps biggest problem for installation is space.

Reply to
Grumpy

Awww Stormy finally found a boy friend. How sweet. lol

Reply to
The King