Upstairs is 5 degrees warmer than downstairs

I have a 12 yr. old house, 2 stories, cheaply built. I replaced the air conditioner (thanks for the advice, btw, got the Trane Puron). I am not willing to add zones to get the upstairs to be cooler because I won't be in the house more than 3-4 years and I won't get the return on my money when I sell. I've closed off the room vents to get the upstairs cooler (the downstairs is great!), but there's still a lot of air leakage, and noise, from those vents. Can I block them with plastic wrap, or those magnetic covers to get more cool air upstairs? I have ceiling fans in a couple of the rooms, upstairs and down, and have run the blower non-stop but there is still a big difference in air temp between the 2 levels. Any other advice or should I just crank the downstairs to arctic in order to get the upstairs livable? I am going to get the AC installer back out here to see what he says also.
Thanks, mcnick
Doe you have an attic and if so....add a power roof vent...this will help tremendously on the 2nd story temperature by keeping the 180 attic temp down to approx 110

Watch closing off vents as it cuts down the air flow, which could lead to other issues.
BTW, Trane doesn't make a Puron unit... but, they do manufacture units that use R-410a. :-)

You could have had comfort upstairs too, but you decided to cheap out and not do the zoning, and now your not happy with your decision. Go figure.
BTW, closing the vents off is *NOT* the answer. That will cause you all kinds of additional problems.
Noon-Air wrote:

Steve... your post couldn't have been more on target re: closing the vents.
To the OP.... stop this practice IMMEDIATELY. The HVAC pro's are being nice about it... but I will not. It's just plain dumb. There is a thing called 'system balance' which must be maintained or you'll ruin your equipment and have no cooling at all.
As another poster noted.. your BEST answer is to properly vent the attic. You'd be surprised how much that will help help "fix" this problem.
Jake
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Increase the size of the supply air ducts feeding the second floor and install a 2nd floor return air grill, preferrably near the ceiling.
Closing off grills is not the answer, unless of course you have duct work that automatically upsizes itself as more grills are closed off.

That's not why it's called 'flex'? :-)