Trane XV90 Cooling/Circulation Question

Can the Trane without AC be used to circulate household air with the right thermostat?

Looking for an answer to this question before I talk to a dealer about bigger options. We had a high efficiency XV90 installed last year after getting a few quotes on different units. Our house is older and suffers from high humidity downstairs(basement) and I want to circulate the air around the house. As we live in Edmonton Canada, we dont feel the need for AC, in fact, if we could balance the cool downstairs with the warmer upstairs, it would be close to ideal. This could be done by a manual blower switch on my old furnace. Can the Trane be run in blower mode only using the proper thermostat or do we need some type of AC/Air filtration unit? The contractor said that we didnt need a new thermostat as we had a digital one but over the past year, we have found out that its a single stage that doesnt properly control the fiurnace( No variable speed. 2 stage works on furnace internal 5 minute default. So much for top of the line!! I suspect the contractor said it would work fine to keep this cost down and get the install.) Thanks for the advice Jeff

Reply to
Kim

Hi, Don't you have a thermostat which can set fan in auto, off, on mode? You don't have a thermostat for two stage heating? What model is your thermostat? Tony Calgary.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

An XV model has a variable speed DC voltage blower motor that will run (factory default) 50% cfm of the A/C cooling cfm speed that the PC board dip switches are set at. NOW for layman's terms....turn the t-stat switch the says "FAN" AUTO-ON to ON...meaning the fan will run continuously at the 50% cfm of the cooling set cfm FOR EXAMPLE: if you have a 30,000 BTU A/C system, the dip switches must likely are set at 400 cfm per ton, this equals out to 1000 cfm cooling mode, so when the fan is on the "ON" position it will deliver 500 cfm. NOW if that is not enough air flow there can be adjustments made to the PC board ....it can be set at 40% or 80% or 100% air flow of the cooling set point FOR HUMIDITY control, the cfm can be set lower or a humidistat added to the system

NOW, I hope this answers your questions, since your HVAC tech or company can not

Reply to
daytona°

To answer your question, yes.

Also get a two-stage stat for your personal comfort.

Reply to
<kjpro

Thermostat is a Hunter Energy Monitor 5+2 Programmable. It has 2 manual switches: Fan/auto and AC/Off/Heat. Dont see a model. I`ve played with the settings/switches and dont see any air flow from the furnace which doesn`t seem to be running. As for dealing with the company that installed the system, I think they`re a bunch of idiots. Funny thing is I used Home Depot`s company to get good service instead of the mediocre service I got. The question of wiring comes to mind. I only have 2 (B&W) wires for the T/Stat to furnace. I would expect more to control multiple functions right? Lastly is there a suggestion on T/Stat models? Should I go with the Trane models? I`ve picked up several models in the $100 and less range but they didnt cut it for the 2 stage.

XL800 mentions having a "circulate "mode. Thanks for the answers. Jeff

Reply to
JKBK

Hi, Two wires? Whoever installed it, they are NOT GOOD! No wonder it does not work, Can you run extra wires(at least 5, 6 more) or is there some unused wires already in place. Worst case, you can use wireless thermostat or there is something called Fast-stat. Tony Calgary

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Reply to
JKBK

Hunter makes great ceiling fans, but their thermostats suck....kind of like going to Waffle House to get a steak. Get a thermostat that will support 2 stage equipment, and run at least 18/5 control wire from the stat to the furnace. OR you can fall the boneheads out that installed the furnace and make them finish the job.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Hmmm, I&#39;d call the original installer back and let them finish it properly. And give them a heck for not doing it right first time. And Hunter thermostat is known for poor quality. For good robust thermostat, I like Honeywell Vision Pro 8000.

Reply to
Tony Hwang
18/5 wire and a Honeywell Vision Pro 8000.Thanks guys. It`s difficult to find out about the 2 stage variable heat functions of a T/Stat in the store so when I ask about cooling I get some great looks. As for the boneheads, I gave up. I had them out to correct three problems BUT the T/stat wasnt in the contract. Neither was a condensate pump so they just started to put a plastic line down on my concrete floor to the drain about 6 feet away right through my laundry room high traffic area. $150 extra for the pump! So much for going with a reputable dealer. Jeff
Reply to
Kim

The VisionPro also allows you to set the fan to "Circ" which runs it occasionally to move the air around, which is what you were asking about in your initial post.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

I always include the pump (and always install it), yet I get clients who tell me to run it accross the floor to the drain. LOL

Reply to
<kjpro

BWAAAAAAAA there ya go!

Use new wire with a new thermostat.