TRANE XL80, replace control board, or whole furnace?

Page 2 of 2
replying to Baby J, Steve Allen wrote:

I Have A Trane XL80 Furnace For Sale. I am Not Using It We Bought it for our House and it is to big. So we cannot use it. It is used but it was only used for two years I think and then the guy moved and he had a new furnace already in the house so he did not use it. it has set in a garage for a few years now but has been kept mouse free. My E-mail contacts are; snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com , My Wife is ; snipped-for-privacy@charter.net
Thank you. Steve and Ann Allen
message

Seems like a no brainer-----I'd Invest the $162 (plus labor) before I spent $3000. Unless of course. you want a new furnace. MLD
MLD wrote:

Hi, But is it 100% sure the problem is control board? When OP said furnace quit, did it just die or there was any trouble code? Or was it acting up prior to quitting? One reason I don't deal with Trane anything is their parts are not universal. Only Trane parts can be used.
If the board is the only problem sure it is a no brainer.

I have a Trane XE80. It's now 13 years old. 8 years ago, the local utility had a power surge issue that fried my control board. I purchased a replacement board at the local appliance parts place and it's been working fine ever since. The replacement board was a White-Rogers. I've also picked up a replacement hot-surface igniter from the same appliance parts place.
The Trane and W-R boards have an LED that will flash a trouble code when the furnace isn't working properly that can help diagnose the issue.
(PG&E paid for the replacement board :-).