Trane xl (home) condensor does not always run in heat

I have a trane xl AC and in the hottest part of the day the condensor will not come on, or if it does come on it will stay on for a while, go off, then try to come on again, but it never turns back on. It will start to come on then simply stop. When the day cools down to around 88 degress, vs 100, it will come on and stay on. Is this because the coil is freezing? I am not sure why in the hottest part of the day the A/C condensor won't come on. The fan stays on but the part doing the cooling won't come on.
thanks,
glen
Glen,
Come on and call out a retail A/C contractor before you do any damage to your A/C.
First shut down your unit at the thermostat or breaker and call someone now.
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

It could be anything but I would advise you to shut it down until the A/C technician can check it out.
The reason for shutting it down is to not cause any further damage to your system and when the tech comes out and finds the compressor hot and off on internal overload it makes his or her job harder which cost you more money.
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician