Trane xl (home) condensor does not always run in heat

I have a trane xl AC and in the hottest part of the day the condensor will not come on, or if it does come on it will stay on for a while, go off, then try to come on again, but it never turns back on. It will start to come on then simply stop. When the day cools down to around 88 degress, vs 100, it will come on and stay on. Is this because the coil is freezing? I am not sure why in the hottest part of the day the A/C condensor won't come on. The fan stays on but the part doing the cooling won't come on.

thanks,

glen

Reply to
gcsm33

Glen,

Come on and call out a retail A/C contractor before you do any damage to your A/C.

First shut down your unit at the thermostat or breaker and call someone now.

Reply to
Moe Jones

Moe,

The thing is the unit is relatively new, 2 years. It is a 4 ton system paired with a trane furnace. The other thing is after 5:30 last night it came on fine. It runs as long as I want after the temperature outside drops. What kind of problem could this be? I would call a contractor but I want to get an idea of what type of issue could cause this. It runs FINE after it is < 90 degrees, approximatly, outside.

glen

Reply to
gcsm33

If its only 2 years old, then its probably still under warranty...unless you screwed with it, then all bets are off.

Reply to
Noon-Air

It could be anything but I would advise you to shut it down until the A/C technician can check it out.

The reason for shutting it down is to not cause any further damage to your system and when the tech comes out and finds the compressor hot and off on internal overload it makes his or her job harder which cost you more money.

Reply to
Moe Jones

I had a cat like that once. I changed the spayed connectors, and fixed the problem.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~