Trane vs. Carrier (or others)

My main floor unit finally died after 20 years of service, so I am now looking to replace my entire setup (outside and insisde). I have a two story house with a 2.5 ton unit cooling/heating the upstairs and a 4 ton unit for the main floor. I have received two quotes to replace my old units and have two more on the way. Those I have in hand are:
Trane XR 14 seer heat pumps 2.5 ton = $5,600 4.0 ton = $6,800 Total = $12,400
Carrier 14 seer Comfort series heat pumps 2.5 ton = $4,722 4.0 ton = $5,598 Total = $10,370
These both seem a bit steep to me, but I live in an exclusive area of Austin, TX where they probably tack on another 10% just because they can. The one caveat to this is that I currently do not have heat pumps, so another low voltage wire will need to be pulled.
Warranty is the same on both. 5 years on parts, 10 years on the compressor. Given these prices, and pending those still scheduled to quote (one Trane, one Carrier, one American Standard), which is the more efficient and more reliable of the two?
Is Trane worth the extra $$ or would I be paying for a name?
Thanks in advance for your advice/comments! -Tony-

As far as I am concerned, the brand does not matter that much. What you should be looking for is the quality of the install. And BTW those prices you got seem VERY competetive, almost cheapskate prices. I am amazed that these contractors are actually still making a profit...

What corners are being cut to get such low prices?
I think your installer must be nuts to think he can do an adequet job at these prices. This sounds like a "slam and run" installation with no warranty or any follow-up for all the problems sure to be found when you actually try to use these systems.
There is no way that he is conforming to code or to good installation principles here.
We sell both brands and I believe they are about the same.
You need to make sure the company that installs the replacement equipment will be around if you need warranty. Check them out with the BBB.
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

I would look real close at the Trane systems, they are rated just as high as Rheem. FWIW, the prices for both of your Trane and Carrier quotes are real cheap.... you should be looking at around $14,000 plus sales tax for both systems installed. I hope they are both R-410a systems, or your gonna get fucked hard a few years down the road when they need leak repairs, and the price of R-22 has risen to $100/lb.
<snip>

What you need is to find your nearest installation company that uses caravans as install trucks (without signs). I'm sure that they will make you a much better deal on one of the most important things in your life, your wife and family's happiness during hot days. They'll be sure to come out and do a swell job for you, on the cheap too.
Do yourself a favor and continue with your research until you really understand what it is you are getting into. There's plenty of information out there if you take the time to look for it.

I don't think that the prices are high at all. I'll bet those companies don't last another 5 years. They're probably already using their present jobs to pay for their last jobs. That means that your warranty may as well be thrown right into the can.
...Ron

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Thanks to all for your replies!! I have spoken to a few of my friends who have used these companies in the past and they have all been very pleased with both the systems installed and the work performed. Both have also been in business for over 10 years in our area.
Much of what I have heard and read has not indicated that one brand is any better than the other and that it really comes down to the workmanship of the installation. With that said, and the fact that I have friends happy with the local Carrier dealer's work, I am leaning toward the Carrier system and saving myself over $2,000.
-Tony-