Trane ignitor cost

Page 2 of 2

but im not anywhere near going belly-up. ive looked over the flat rate info you sent me (thanks, btw) but fear that pricing like that would bankrupt me in a town like billings.

im not criticizing you at all but i am curious.....why even bother being in business for yourself if you net $50k? you can do that working for someone else, giving them all the headaches of running a business.

agreed. particularly in main focus of my business (commercial refrigeration) customers really dont care what it cost when they have hundreds of thousands of dollars in product potentially spoiling if their cooler/freezer is down. still, between my hourly rate ($60 an hour from the time i leave the shop to the time i return) and my standard parts mark ups im making what i consider to be a very good living.

you a gun nut too? stop by one of my forums sometime (listed in my signature).
--
Nathan in Montana
http://BighornRefrigeration.com

I thought that about Purvis, MS too. Funny thing... Every time I raise my prices, I get more calls. As near as I can figure, folks figure that higher priced is better quality. <overheard in the local grocery> "Call Mr Noon, he's not cheap, but he's really good"

Check the demographics http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/communities/towns/purvis.html I am living pretty good... I figure on doubling my business and hiring a full time tech(if I can find one thats qualified) This year I was able to furnish my home, do some charity work, and bought some guns too.

Currently, my Service Call fee(just to show up) is $70, and my flat rate book is up to $110/hr labor rate..... ....like I said, check the demographics. BTW.. I sent out 600 postcards to the folks in my customer base from the last 5 years for their winter service and my phone has been ringing steady for the last 2 months.

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 15:13:23 -0700, "Nathan In Montana"

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 13:02:51 -0700, "Nathan In Montana"

We're not in what anyone would consider a large metropolitan area either. We strive to get and keep our clients. There's no way I could build this business if I did otherwise. We offer and charge for value.
I agree with you 100% that integrity has to be the cornerstone of successful business. That includes integrity to one's clients, community, employees and ones self.

Do you have health insurance for yourself and your employee(s)? Retirement plan for both? Paid vacation? Paid holidays? Regular, paid training for yourself and your employee(s)?
--
Thank you for encouraging my behavior.

yes, employee funded.

no. i feel strongly that retirement is a personal responsibility, and not an entitlement.

no. i dont expect anyone to pay me for doing nothing either.

no. see above.

absolutely.
its not that im cold hearted or unsympathetic. i offer a great hourly wage for which i expect great hourly work. nothing more on either side is necessary. the era of entitlement is passing, and hopefully others do as i have done on my own.....prepare for the future.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

--
Thank you for encouraging my behavior.

if you dont like the job i offer, dont apply. nobody is forced to take a job. the sense of entitlement, that the employer OWES you benefits is ridiculous. this is a free market. youre free to leave a job for a better one any time you want. if your employer doesnt offer what you need, you find another one.
....just like i would do if i werent happy with my employment arrangements.

and theres nothing wrong with that.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://BighornRefrigeration.com

and Im going to disagree. Take an area where I am. Rather competitive so prices are lower. However, right across the river its like stepping into a different country. Prices are extremely higher there. Take another for instance: You cant really tell me that you think that the salaries that todays basketball players make are justified? Multi-million dollar contracts per year to play with a ball? BUT.....its what the market will bare. Bubba

Bubba, I used to think the way you are. Over the past few years I've come to realize that's mind trash.
The prices are competitive everywhere. At least according to the contractors working the area. I'm telling you that's all in their heads. If someone had told me 10 years ago what we would be charging today I would have told them they were crazy. The bottom line is I charge what I need to cover my OH which is WAY more than I realized plus a net after tax profit.
Quite honestly this may be the first year we've had a real net profit. Then again that may not happen till next year.
BTW, I'm in a town with around 2500 people. Two small, close by (within 15 miles) cities of about 25,000 and 35,000. I don't consider, actually don't even know, what other contractors are charging. I do know we offer more and are having our best year ever. We offering the best value instead of the best price. Not everyone chooses that and that's okay.

Thank you for encouraging my behavior.

Well,,, If your the ONLY hvac number to dial that's one thing,,,
Yes, It takes a certain swagger to be the Big Dog, however, the Big Dog is ALWAYS aware of what the other dogs are up to.
-zero
sometimes the environment in which a furnace lives is not very comfortable for its components due to the heat, cold, and humidity. here's just thinking out loud: are there any ocean salt factors that contribute to any other electrical or electronic items in the home? is there a shorter life expectancy of this type of heating in this environment?
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Part costs $50 and should take no more than 15 minutes to install. Imho I'd keep a spare or two. It's pretty obvious when they are broken. The furnace goes through the start cycle but never ignites and then shuts down from the no ignition safety override. I don't know what it is about those things but they seem unpredictable. One of my furnaces has one and I've never had a problem. My neighbor across the street has a gas fired oven and has to replace the hot surface ignitor ever other year like clockwork. I suspect some of the manufs refuse to acknowledge there is a problem until they managed to go through the existing stock so they don't have to shitcan a couple hundred $k in parts. Then suddenly they have a "new improved" one.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

$50? You got raped too. We do have to eat, you know. Bubba
On 17 Dec 2006 07:57:16 -0800, "jamesgangnc"

We can't help it if he doesn't charge enough