Trane ignitor cost

That argument doesn't fly.... I am in a town of 2200 people here, with the "big city" (80,000) 10 miles away... I used to think like you do, and almost went belly up. Now that I have changed my pricing, and the way I do business, I have more work than I can handle, and grossed well over $120K this year with a net of over $50K. I run an honest business, I hide nothing from my insurance companies, or the IRS. When I went to "flat rate", my average ticket went from $125 to $311, I only lost 2% of my customers(that I really didn't want anyway), and picked up almost 100 service agreements as a "one man band". 2007 will be another banner year, and I will have to hire a tech just to keep up with the demand.

Its not about doing it cheap, its about being the best. period. Most people really don't care what it costs if they are getting the very best possible service, and installation with top quality equipment.

I only did about half that this year... but give me another year or 2.....

Reply to
Noon-Air

DING DING DING!!!!

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

GIVE DAT MAN A CEEGAR!!!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

but im not anywhere near going belly-up. ive looked over the flat rate info you sent me (thanks, btw) but fear that pricing like that would bankrupt me in a town like billings.

im not criticizing you at all but i am curious.....why even bother being in business for yourself if you net $50k? you can do that working for someone else, giving them all the headaches of running a business.

agreed. particularly in main focus of my business (commercial refrigeration) customers really dont care what it cost when they have hundreds of thousands of dollars in product potentially spoiling if their cooler/freezer is down. still, between my hourly rate ($60 an hour from the time i leave the shop to the time i return) and my standard parts mark ups im making what i consider to be a very good living.

you a gun nut too? stop by one of my forums sometime (listed in my signature).

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

Bubba, I used to think the way you are. Over the past few years I've come to realize that's mind trash.

The prices are competitive everywhere. At least according to the contractors working the area. I'm telling you that's all in their heads. If someone had told me 10 years ago what we would be charging today I would have told them they were crazy. The bottom line is I charge what I need to cover my OH which is WAY more than I realized plus a net after tax profit.

Quite honestly this may be the first year we've had a real net profit. Then again that may not happen till next year.

BTW, I'm >>

Reply to
Steve Scott

We're not in what anyone would consider a large metropolitan area either. We strive to get and keep our clients. There's no way I could build this business if I did otherwise. We offer and charge for value.

I agree with you 100% that integrity has to be the cornerstone of successful business. That includes integrity to one's clients, community, employees and ones self.

Do you have health insurance for yourself and your employee(s)? Retirement plan for both? Paid vacation? Paid holidays? Regular, paid training for yourself and your employee(s)?

Reply to
Steve Scott

I thought that about Purvis, MS too. Funny thing... Every time I raise my prices, I get more calls. As near as I can figure, folks figure that higher priced is better quality. "Call Mr Noon, he's not cheap, but he's really good"

Check the demographics

am living pretty good... I figure on doubling my business and hiring a full time tech(if I can find one thats qualified) This year I was able to furnish my home, do some charity work, and bought some guns too.

Currently, my Service Call fee(just to show up) is $70, and my flat rate book is up to $110/hr labor rate..... ....like I said, check the demographics. BTW.. I sent out 600 postcards to the folks in my customer base from the last 5 years for their winter service and my phone has been ringing steady for the last 2 months.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Well,,, If your the ONLY hvac number to dial that's one thing,,,

Yes, It takes a certain swagger to be the Big Dog, however, the Big Dog is ALWAYS aware of what the other dogs are up to.

-zero

Reply to
-zero

yes, employee funded.

no. i feel strongly that retirement is a personal responsibility, and not an entitlement.

no. i dont expect anyone to pay me for doing nothing either.

no. see above.

absolutely.

its not that im cold hearted or unsympathetic. i offer a great hourly wage for which i expect great hourly work. nothing more on either side is necessary. the era of entitlement is passing, and hopefully others do as i have done on my own.....prepare for the future.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

So essentially, you provide yourself and your employee less than a factory worker or an employee pretty much anywhere else gets.

I guess we have very different ideas >> Do you have health insurance for yourself and your employee(s)? >

Reply to
Steve Scott

if you dont like the job i offer, dont apply. nobody is forced to take a job. the sense of entitlement, that the employer OWES you benefits is ridiculous. this is a free market. youre free to leave a job for a better one any time you want. if your employer doesnt offer what you need, you find another one.

....just like i would do if i werent happy with my employment arrangements.

and theres nothing wrong with that.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

Thats when pj saved you right?

Reply to
JB Books

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Reply to
Bubba

We can't help it if he doesn't charge enough

Reply to
Noon-Air