Trane furnace doesn't light

Hi!
I've got a 10 year old Trane XE 80 furnace that I'm having some problems with. I turn it down at night, back up in the AM. Sometimes in the AM it will blow cold air. I'll go check it and the blower will be running but no flame and the furnace itself feels cold. I'll flip the power switch off and on. Sometimes that gets it going (lots of nice blue flame, lots of heat), other times I'll see some red glowing thingies (ignitors?) inside then I'll hear the gas come on but it doesn't ignite the gas.
So.... are there any fairly obvious parts/service that I could try myself before just biting the bullet and calling in a furnace guy? Suggestions?
Thanks in advance. Tom in PA

Parts? Yes. Start with the cheapest parts and just keep changing until you hit the right one. Pretty simple really. Service? That would be silly. Why would you want to service your furnace? They never get dirty, they never break and they last forever. Just keep flipping the power switch on and off. When you freeze to death and they find you, they can haul your carcass outta there and the new owner will call in a pro to fix it properly. Bubba

Try this: wash the coil, check the high temperature limit, replace the thermostat, clean the filter, adjust the fan relay drop-out buzzer, increase the static pressure on the draft hood switch, and install a tattle-tale on the roll-out limit.
After you do all that. Report the results back to us.
Tom in PA wrote:

So;
It is possible to 'STOP A TRANE'.
--
Zyp

Poor Poor "Snowball". Bubba
That was easy!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m26zeSMn7WU

I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.
The trick is to watch it through a couple heat cycles, and see what it's doing. At this point, it sounds like a possible stress fracture in the electrothermal process actuator.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

There is your answer; it cold and lonely by itself! It will learn by example.

No