Trane fan "On" for outside air?

Page 1 of 3
Concerning the electric thermostat that controls my Trane furnace and air conditioner, if I change my fan switch from "Auto" to "On" (so that it runs continuously), is it pulling in air from outside or just circulating the air already in the house? In other words, is running the fan a good way to cool the house at night when the air temp. outside is a good 15 degrees cooler than inside?
Thanks.

Setting the thermostat "fan setting" to the "On" position runs the blower 24/7, as it circulates indoor air.
Rats. But thanks for the info, everybody.

It just runs the fan the same as in auto. It recirculates the air in the house. It will not change anything so it will not bring any outside air into the house.
In other words, no.

If the outside temperature is that much cooler at night than your home, you might want to consider getting a window fan to bring cool air in at night.
Don

You already got the 'bad' news that it only circulates house air but..
The good news is that running it 'on' will significantly delay the start of the AC. Much cheaper to run that fan than the AC. In my case, when it becomes a bit uncomfortable in the house, putting it "on" will keep the AC from running for another hour or two if it isn't too hot outside.
Harry K
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 07:12:44 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

You are absolutely nuttier than a fruit cake Harry if you think that is true. Bubba

Harry is right. Turning the fan "ON" will circulate the cooler air that sinks to the lowest level of the house and cool the upper levels while heating up the lower levels. So, it depends on where the thermostat is located. In my 4-level split, the thermostat is on the third level up, and running the fan "ON" cools it down about 2 degrees while heating up the lower levels, and does delay turning the compressor on by an hour or two.

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 19:46:18 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

You and Harry are clueless. As Noon said, it will raise the humidity level. Also, trying to pull that cool air from the basement will reduce the ability of your system to be able to remove the warm air from a first and second floor. Air will take the path of least resistance and you will remove no warm air from your upper levels. You two should really get a clue before you start babbling Bubba

And who said anythign about pulling cool air from the basement? Yes, I mentioned it as a _possible_ thing to try but that has nothing to do with what either of us has attempted to explain to you. But then your handle pretty much explains you 'Bubba'.
Harry K

Read your next sentence...

That's Priceless...

Reading comprehension problem there is there? Read what we are actually discussing. My mention of the basement was a FUTURE (caps for the reading impaired) possibility. We are discussing what is CURRENT.
Harry k

No problem reading or comprehending here... unlike what's going on in your little planet.
Harry K wrote:

So does yours, Hairy. ;-)

Can't you spell?
Harry K
On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 07:57:49 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Harry, Did you just re-read the first 2 sentences of your paragraph just above? First you ask "Who"? and second you said it was "You"? I thihk that, and your previous post has shown me all the competence I ever need to know about you. Bubba

See my reply to LApert. Appears you also can't read.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

That was no answer.. you are OUR *Hairy* to kick around like a fairy soccer ball.. ;-)
We sure have the biggest batch of iliderats in this group!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus