Trane Air Cooled Chiller with Isceon 29

Good evening, We have been asked to perform a Refrigerant Conversion from R-22 to Isceon

59 (R-417a). This drop in refrigerant. Shortly after the conversion, Isceon recommended that Isceon 59 no longer be used in Liquid DX Chillers and that such chillers should only use their new product, Isceon 29 (R-422D)

Inquiries to the factory gave us no definitive answer as to why the Isceon

59 was no longer compatible with Liquid Chillers. We have used Isceon 59 on several packaged R-22 units with great success. We noticed in the chiller that it was more difficult to maintain a stable Superheat at the compressor and we experienced some floodback wiping out a compressor. The subject chiller is a 2 circuit, 60 ton unit, with 4 scroll compressors.

The owner finally obtained the Isceon 29 and we are ready to proceed with converting from Isceon 59 to Isceon 29. The DuPont literature gives little indication as to what we can expect with the conversion including superheat adjustment.

In short the question is... Does anyone have experience with this? It is a remote site and we only get one chance at it because there is no availability of parts for weeks. Is there any indication as to changing the element on the R-22 TXV to another type of element. I notice that the PT charts for Isceon 29 are more in line with the PT charts for R-22 than the Isceon 59 replacement.

Any tips on this one from you experts...

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
shawnews

First, we should ask why bother to convert the unit in the first place. I don't know what's the price of the refrigerant you mention, but it's likely to be more than R-22. It's been probably two years since I bought any R-22, but it was not expensive.

Just checked Johnstone, it's about a C-note for a 30 pounder. I'd have to guess that Isceon 29 is a whole bunch more. So, you're taking out refrigerant that's designed for the unit, and put in something you're not sure about. And which is likely more expensive, and the factory doesn't say will work.

I also did a froogle search for Isceon 29 and found nothing. Google finds that it's a Dupont product.

I'd seriously consider reccomending that they stay with R-22. Converting to a not deisgned refrigerant can be done (and I've done at least a few). But it sounds like a serious headache for everyone.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Oh boy, where does one start?

Reply to
Tekkie®

You are kidding right? I mean...really....two years, and you havent bought any.....

Johnstone must LUV you.

NU22....look that up peckerhead. Consider that many units in Europe have already switched,.

Reply to
aka-SBM

Ummm......I haven't bought any R-22 in 3 years.....

I still have 9 cans left on that pallet

Reply to
Noon-Air

You are also wise. After watching R-12, I figured why take chances?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You are kidding right? I mean...really....two years, and you havent bought any..... CY: I stocked up when it was cheaper. Being the shrewd and wise person I am.

Johnstone must LUV you.

NU22....look that up peckerhead. Consider that many units in Europe have already switched,. CY: I was born and raised in the US. Why would I care what Europe is doing?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You dont get it. Two cans 5 years ago dont count as stocking up.

Umm...I really have to explain this one to you?

Here, allow me to clarify in simplist terms so that even you can understand.

Your post yet again shows the world that you are ignorant. You do not care to keep up with advancements, nor possible issues that will affect you and your "customers" (guiniea pigs)

Now, suggest you get the ICOR DVD if you can, and check into whats on the market. Informed owners and techs would already know about this. And no, I dont know anyone that can convert DVD to BETA. LOL

Reply to
aka-SBM

There was a point being made there.

He lied, again.

Might wanna buy another one real fast. Prices just went postal here. only $50 between it and 410A. Silva-Braze jumped 150% too. I about had a damn fit the other week.

Reply to
aka-SBM

With propane? :-)

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

If you must change then why don't you retrofitted with R-407C which is whole lot closer match then any other refrigerant but you don't want advice from someone who is been more then twice around the block you are to smart for that Good luck from Dido

Reply to
DIDO

Dear DIDO, Aparently, common sense isn't very common any more. At least, not on this news group. Someone out there wanted to convert away from R-22, but it wasn't me. I did see an interesting use of R-22 a couple weeks ago. Used as refrigerant in an 8-hole ice cream freezer. Did some good cold temps, too. Minus 20 or so at one point of the sidewall. Interesting, cause I usually think of 22 for residential AC.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Gee...and I normally think of 134A in automotive, but golly gee wiz..there it is, used in freezers....

Reply to
aka-SBM

I miss 502. ;`(

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Me, too. And I never worked with it. But the couple times I've seen it used, it was doing well below zero evap temps.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Umm.....how can you miss something you never had? I bet you miss Heavens Gate too...no..not the TV series...the ball less wonders that killed themselves when the coment came by...

Reply to
aka-SBM