TotalTouch thermostat problems...anyone else?

Hello, Been a while since I've been here but there's still a few familiar names.

About one year ago I installed a TotalTouch (touch screen) thermostat. Model P286-1200 (no humidification control). In that time it's been perfection, couldn't be happier with accuracy and features...well at least up until a week ago. I get home from work and my house is at 69 degrees and the stat shows 79. I reset it and the temperature readings are erratic. Now I'm having my main bath remodeled and between drywall, concrete backer and porcelain tiles the dust has been flying, so I figure that may have caused the problem. I return it to my Total Line distributor and get another one. Works perfect for exactly one week. I had the system off and when I got home from work yesterday it was 81 in the house. Turned it on (set for 77) and after a while I'm feeling cold. I go check the display and it's still showing 81 and the house is at 74. Then in the blink of an eye it went from 81 to 74 and satisfied. Within 10 minutes it went back up to

77 and never changed.

So this morning I run by the distributor and exchange it again. I'm good friends with the manager and her assitant and they'll pretty much tell me anything. After some prodding I find out they sent back a whole batch of these stats but the ones they have on the shelf now are ok. All he knew was something "expired" which may be nothing more than them needing reprogramming for the change in daylight savings time. They're going to find out more on Monday for me.

So now I've got the new stat but still have a cheap backup on right now as I'm thinking there may be some outside source screwing killing my new ones. I installed my furnace and A/C about 5 years ago and it's high efficiency Payne. My line voltage is at 125.5. I don't keep tabs on my line voltage but it is higher than I remember and I'm hoping it isn't surging even higher at times. No load on the transformer at the furnace is 28.6 volts, exactly the same as a new transformer hooked up to the that line voltage. In standby I'm at about 29 between R & C at the board. When the last stat acted up yesterday I was at 26.5 between R & C at the stat (I'm not power stealing) as the system was running.

I mainly keep the Focus Pro series on my van so I don't have too many of these Total Line stats out in the wild. I've installed a few in commercial settings and have had no problems at all.

Grasping at straws here, but as the bathroom was being remodeled I installed new lighting on a dimmer switch and a new gfci outlet. The switch is on the opposite side of the wall as the stat and about 6" away. Lights may have been switched on a few minutes during A/C operation but that's it. No heat or air leakage behind stat and my temperture readings were taken with an expensive pyrometer right by the stats thermistor. RF interference from that dimmer maybe?

Has anyone else had issues with these or possibly know why a batch was pulled off the shelves? Suggestions?

Thanks for reading,

George

Reply to
Turbo Torch

I have the Fast TS21 and TS32 which are the totalline P286-1200 and P286-1300 products. After a couple years, I lost two caps inside the thermostat in use in my house. I replaced the caps and the unit works find. I use a 2 transformers setup since besides the furnace, I have a relay installed to run a whole house fan for the cooling. The other problem was charging the original batteries, but after a couple months, they started to keep a full charge for backup.

Reply to
Gary Kane

Hi, Can't you go into service mode? Reconfigure all the settings you need and see what happens. Another thing is the 'stat may have a imbedded coin battery to keep the setting just like battery in a PC for BIOS. If the 'stat has clock, does it keep accurate time? If not that is the clue. I am on Carrier performance series system. I declined Total line 'stat. I installed Honeywell wireless one myself, not a glitch since it was installed. Good luck.

Reply to
Tony Hwang