Totaline P274-0200 Wiring Question

Page 1 of 2
I had an electrician that is a friend of mine wire up the system, but I believe it's not running at its optimal settings. I seriously need some help on wiring my thermostat so that I can fully use the potential of my HVAC.
I currently have the following setup:
HVAC Unit - Carrier 50JS-048 (4 ton - Heat Pump) Heater Strip - 20KW - CPHEATER054A00 (Carrier 036-060) Thermostat - Totaline P274-0200 HP This stages for this unit should be: 2H - 1C
The wiring to the Thermostat is as follows:
S2 = N/A S1 = N/A O/W2* = Orange Y1 = N/A L = N/A B = N/A
N/A R = Red Y/Y2 - Yellow G = Green C = Brown (common) W/W1 = White
Currently the W/W1 is wired to only the 1st stage of supplimental heat. The 2nd stage has obviously never worked. Reson I know this is that there is a Blue wire in the Thermostat that is not connected and on the unit side it is wired together with the Gray and Violet wires also connected to the heater strip. I was wondering it I hooked the blue wire on the O/W2 and jumpered it to the W/W1 connection if it would fix the problem without doing something to my unit.
Please help me out on this so I can get some real heat and not this luke warm air.
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–

No problem.... here's the very best help/advice you can get.... Call a *competent* HVAC tech to come correctly wire it up.... *most* electricians don't have a clue about controls as you have found out.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Noon.....electricians thought process......Black = hot, white neutral.......black not always, hot A friend of mine who is an electrician...thinks this way and has for years. He has been in HIS OWN business for 20 years.... I don't see how he does it

Add pictures here
βœ–

Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly.
Add pictures here
βœ–

for me it was black, brown, Roy G Bv (famous war hero) grey, white
--
Respectfully, Bob

Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote

and dont forget gold, silver, none (my favorite);
Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well -- Get Some Now!
BTW, The colors of the rainbow are "Roy G. Biv"
Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet
Joseph

Add pictures here
βœ–

You're right! And I don't think I've ever seen a gold one, not that I deal with a lot of resistors. The other formulas that I've found useful over the years are the triangles dealing with E, R, and I...as well as W, V, and I.
--
Respectfully, Bob

Add pictures here
βœ–
"Bob_Loblaw" wrote:

triangles?
I'm much more familiar with the Ohm's Law Equation Wheel, essentially a circle divided into 4 quadrants that include W E I & R all in one.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote

I haven't seen that one, but I was taught to make a triangle with a horizontal line bisecting it. E goes in the top portion of the triangle with I times R in the bottom. You cover up the one you want to calculate. To determine E, you would need to know I and R and multiply them to get E. To get R, you would devide E by I. To get I, you would devide E by R. You can make the same triangle with W, I and E, W being Watts. W is in the top section like E was before.
--
Respectfully, Bob

Add pictures here
βœ–

How pathetic -- you need a triangle to remember Ohm's law and an acronym to remember resister color codes that I learned in first or second grade? No wonder you are challenged by HVAC
Add pictures here
βœ–

years.
No way!
Black is Ground and Red is Hot.
Oh sorry, we're not working on vehicles here. <g>
Add pictures here
βœ–
Obviously, this newsgroup isn't here for helping someone out. Must be from the lack of knowledge of the question I have previously asked. Anyway, the big problem is the lack of documentation from Totaline(Carrier). I just figured there were a few competent HVAC technicians that may have configured this thermostat before and could assist me.
Funny thing is, I have asked two local HVAC technicians on different occasions to look at this already and they didn't know what to do when they saw a thermostat that doesn't have an "E" for the supplemental/emergency heat. Maybe they have never installed 2- stage heat pump before.

Add pictures here
βœ–

βœ–

But unfortunately you and the other loud-mouths here aren't one of them
Add pictures here
βœ–

If you apologize to Noon-Air in this forum I will post the installation, start-up, and operating instructions for this thermostat.
Lucky for your brain dead electrician friend, it also includes the wiring diagrams needed to make your heat pump with resitive heating work
apologize or go pound sand. and oh, there's no shortage whatsoever of documentation from Totaline......if you're in the trade.....

Add pictures here
βœ–

from
the
configured
they
I'll second that!
Add pictures here
βœ–

No, it isn't. It's here for techs to discuss the trade with each other, not to dispense free information to homeowners who provide us with partial information about their systems. IOW. we're here for our own information swapping, not yours.

Oh ya! You think we can't answer your questions?? Well, just for that, I'm going to prove you wrong and answer them all, buddy boy!!!
Is that the response you were expecting?? LOL!!!!
--
Respectfully, Bob

Add pictures here
βœ–
Sorry to bother everyone with this post. I was only hoping to get some simple help and the slamming started about an certified electrician wiring up my unit. I didn't know there was such a hatred among the trade towards such another profession. However, I did however pay two different HVAC technicians to try and fix the problem. One of them charged me $75.00 just for coming and looking at it (who really wasn't comfortably familiar with Carrier or Totaline) and the other I refused payment because he didn't do anything to fix the problem, but I gave him $50.00 just for trying to help me out. So for your information, I wasn't trying to get anything for free. I'm sorry I caused such a problem and thank you for trying to helping me out.
Rob
wrote

Add pictures here
βœ–
"Robert Ford" wrote:

the problem we have is why didnt the hvac contractor who installed your system also wire up the low voltage controls?
What? you installed it yourself and then thought you'd cut a fat hog in the ass by having your friend electrician wire it up? An electrician is no more qualified than a plumber.

well I already told you, all you have to do is apologize to noon-air and I will gladly give you the critical information you seek......FOR FREE ! Its a web link to an eleven page pdf file specifically on YOUR thermostat.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net writes:

But both are more qualified than you... These HVAC guys are just one paper certificate away from a McDonald's cashier....

Add pictures here
βœ–