Totaline P274-0200 Wiring Question

I had an electrician that is a friend of mine wire up the system, but I believe it's not running at its optimal settings. I seriously need some help on wiring my thermostat so that I can fully use the potential of my HVAC.

I currently have the following setup:

HVAC Unit - Carrier 50JS-048 (4 ton - Heat Pump) Heater Strip - 20KW - CPHEATER054A00 (Carrier 036-060) Thermostat - Totaline P274-0200 HP This stages for this unit should be: 2H - 1C

The wiring to the Thermostat is as follows:

S2 = N/A S1 = N/A O/W2* = Orange Y1 = N/A L = N/A B = N/A

N/A R = Red Y/Y2 - Yellow G = Green C = Brown (common) W/W1 = White

Currently the W/W1 is wired to only the 1st stage of supplimental heat. The

2nd stage has obviously never worked. Reson I know this is that there is a Blue wire in the Thermostat that is not connected and on the unit side it is wired together with the Gray and Violet wires also connected to the heater strip. I was wondering it I hooked the blue wire on the O/W2 and jumpered it to the W/W1 connection if it would fix the problem without doing something to my unit.

Please help me out on this so I can get some real heat and not this luke warm air.

Rob

Reply to
Robert Ford

No problem.... here's the very best help/advice you can get.... Call a *competent* HVAC tech to come correctly wire it up.... *most* electricians don't have a clue about controls as you have found out.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Noon.....electricians thought process......Black = hot, white = neutral.......black not always, hot A friend of mine who is an electrician...thinks this way and has for years. He has been in HIS OWN business for 20 years.... I don't see how he does it

Reply to
daytona°

Obviously, this newsgroup isn't here for helping someone out. Must be from the lack of knowledge of the question I have previously asked. Anyway, the big problem is the lack of documentation from Totaline(Carrier). I just figured there were a few competent HVAC technicians that may have configured this thermostat before and could assist me.

Funny thing is, I have asked two local HVAC technicians on different occasions to look at this already and they didn't know what to do when they saw a thermostat that doesn't have an "E" for the supplemental/emergency heat. Maybe they have never installed 2- stage heat pump before.

Reply to
Robert Ford

There are several competent techs here.... and we need a lot more information.

You had 2 "techs" look at it and they didn't know what it was?? Then its a pretty good bet that they were not *competent* techs, or you wanted them to tell you how to fix it for free. Good luck.

Reply to
Noon-Air

If you apologize to Noon-Air in this forum I will post the installation, start-up, and operating instructions for this thermostat.

Lucky for your brain dead electrician friend, it also includes the wiring diagrams needed to make your heat pump with resitive heating work

apologize or go pound sand. and oh, there's no shortage whatsoever of documentation from Totaline......if you're in the trade.....

Reply to
gofish

"Robert Ford" wrote

No, it isn't. It's here for techs to discuss the trade with each other, not to dispense free information to homeowners who provide us with partial information about their systems. IOW. we're here for our own information swapping, not yours.

Oh ya! You think we can't answer your questions?? Well, just for that, I'm going to prove you wrong and answer them all, buddy boy!!!

Is that the response you were expecting?? LOL!!!!

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Fuck helping you, Jesse is still pissed.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

"Oscar_Lives" wrote

for me it was black, brown, Roy G Bv (famous war hero) grey, white

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Sorry to bother everyone with this post. I was only hoping to get some simple help and the slamming started about an certified electrician wiring up my unit. I didn't know there was such a hatred among the trade towards such another profession. However, I did however pay two different HVAC technicians to try and fix the problem. One of them charged me $75.00 just for coming and looking at it (who really wasn't comfortably familiar with Carrier or Totaline) and the other I refused payment because he didn't do anything to fix the problem, but I gave him $50.00 just for trying to help me out. So for your information, I wasn't trying to get anything for free. I'm sorry I caused such a problem and thank you for trying to helping me out.

Rob

Reply to
Robert Ford

the problem we have is why didnt the hvac contractor who installed your system also wire up the low voltage controls?

What? you installed it yourself and then thought you'd cut a fat hog in the ass by having your friend electrician wire it up? An electrician is no more qualified than a plumber.

well I already told you, all you have to do is apologize to noon-air and I will gladly give you the critical information you seek......FOR FREE ! Its a web link to an eleven page pdf file specifically on YOUR thermostat.

Reply to
gofish

While you're connecting things together, just wire them ALL together and FORGET the thermostat.

Reply to
<kjpro

No way!

Black is Ground and Red is Hot.

Oh sorry, we&#39;re not working on vehicles here.

Reply to
<kjpro

I&#39;ll second that!

Reply to
<kjpro

Neither guy is charging enough to know what his doing... NEXT.

Reply to
<kjpro

and dont forget gold, silver, none (my favorite);

Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well -- Get Some Now!

BTW, The colors of the rainbow are "Roy G. Biv"

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet

Joseph

Reply to
Joseph

"Joseph" wrote

You&#39;re right! And I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve ever seen a gold one, not that I deal with a lot of resistors. The other formulas that I&#39;ve found useful over the years are the triangles dealing with E, R, and I...as well as W, V, and I.

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

If you had every actually read the charter (which at this point is totally meaningless) you would find that your statement is completely untrue. It however has progressed to that point lead by some asshole who has nothing to do but sit on his fat ass all day f****ng with other assholes on the computer. Thats that.

Respectfully Bob I dont really care one way or another, but everytime I see someone make the claim that you did above, the irony of it just kills me. You cant quit bitching about posts because they (the posts) give you something to bitch (live for) about. Now thats funny.

If you really think about it, answering questions is a great way to get a discussion started. It use to happen all the time that way. For instance, guys like me who really dont see a lot of the newer residential equipment in a residential environment could learn a few things. That is tech to tech information swapping. The HO&#39;s ask the questions and if a real discussion were to develop it could evolve into something meaningful instead of a worthless bitch fest. How many topics started by the regulars actually turn out to be, on topic and informative? Not very many. Sorry to say but this group has attracted a high share of hvac dregs and is totally useless for anything other than flame wars with whomever.

Its crazy.

Reply to
Power's Mechanical

I disagree, especially coming from you. You have flamed and trolled the group like the best of them, "Powers". So your above comments apply to you as well. I know you don&#39;t care but you are still here and a long term member of this group.... :)

I been here quit a while and when ever I have needed help and info it has been here. The noise and water cooler chit chat is just to keep us occupied in the interim. I don&#39;t think HO&#39;s questions should be answered in open posts. If a HO&#39;s question starts a discussion so be it but I personally chose not to answer them...

Joseph

Reply to
Joseph