Tools & equipment

I would like to know what tools and equipment professionals use in the course of the HVAC business. I am finishing my HVAC classes and I'm looking to buy. What do you like and what you don't like would be helpful in my decision making process.
Thanks

I hope you got a fat wallet....
Business courses continuing education for all the new equipment that is hitting the streets insurances (business, liability, workmans comp, commercial vehicle) bonds licenses (state, county(s), city(s)) service truck or van at least 2 gage manifolds with hoses (one for R-22, and other HCFCs, the other for R-410a) Oil-less recovery machine a recovery tank for each refrigerant that you deal with vacuum pump micron gage oxy-acet brazing outfit 15% silphos 45% silver tubing cutters tubing bender kit swedging kit digital thermometers clamp-on digital thermometer VOM amp clamp Capacitor tester megger a can of each refrigerant that you might need Schrader replacement tool avation snips duck bill sheet metal pliers PVC cutter drill/driver drill bits and hole saws basic hand tools All of the administrative and paperwork stuff
There is probably a bunch of stuff I have forgotten... but this will get you started
Some brain storming, and adding to Noon's very good list.
Business courses continuing education for all the new equipment that is hitting the streets insurances (business, liability, workmans comp, commercial vehicle) bonds licenses (state, county(s), city(s)) service truck or van at least 2 gage manifolds with hoses (one for R-22, and other HCFCs, the other for R-410a) [if you can get ones with a sight glass, please do. Totally useful thing to have, gages with a sight glass.] Oil-less recovery machine a recovery tank for each refrigerant that you deal with vacuum pump micron gage clue [for when the folks on this list tell you "get a clue"] oxy-acet brazing outfit 15% silphos 45% silver tubing cutters tubing bender kit swedging kit Box of fittings for ataching copper to copper Sharpie pens for labelling things Tape measures knee pads for working on cement floors ladders, both stepstools, step ladders, and extension ladders digital thermometers clamp-on digital thermometer Infared thermometer, with laser aimer VOM amp clamp Capacitor tester [included with some VOM] megger [VOM which reads high scales] a can of each refrigerant that you might need Schrader replacement tool avation snips [red, yellow, green; get one of each] duck bill sheet metal pliers [sometimes called bulldogs] PVC cutter drill/driver [get a good one, and socket tips, and drillbits, and screw driver tips] Flashlights,t o include Mag, Minimag, Photon, and headlamp, Plug in work lights Ratchet wrench set, Combination box / open wrench set drill bits and hole saws basic hand tools Sawzall All of the administrative and paperwork stuff Pipe wrenches, and thread sealant

And a partridge in a pair tree

Maybe that's why I can't fix anything for birds or beans?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

You guys forgot test instruments for checking airflow velocity, CFM, & static pressures: One of the FIRST three things that need checking are the airflow CFM & duct system for leakage, plus indoor wet bulb/%RH, etc.
Magnehelic gauges, or manometers to check static pressures; airflow meters, & an over a $1,000 dollar Alnor Balometer to check CFM to rooms. Plus a sling psychrometer or digital psychrometer for checking wet bulb/humidity levels.
I did not see a good vacuum pump listed, though the micron gauge was listed.
A Duct Blaster to check for duct system leaks, & a Blower Door instrument to check for amount of air infiltration, etc. Over Ten percent of the airconditioning latent/humidity load can come from humid air infiltration
It takes a big investment to have what you need to do it right! Plus a large parts inventory!
When the building rent, van, & Tech wages are figured in, -Who wants to total it up? Now you see part of why, (there is more,) contractors have to charge an ample rate to make a dime! - udarrell
--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCTWORK Sizing is over 70% of Operating Efficiency
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html

As far as the manometer goes, get a basic one that actually uses water. I've been bit one too many times by the fancy smancy ones. Simple is better in this case. Be prepared to spend upwards of 10,000.00 just for tools. Then be prepared to spend another couple of grand for the ones your going to lose.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

You guys forgot test instruments for checking airflow velocity, CFM, & static pressures: One of the FIRST three things that need checking are the airflow CFM & duct system for leakage, plus indoor wet bulb/%RH, etc.
Magnehelic gauges, or manometers to check static pressures; airflow meters, & an over a $1,000 dollar Alnor Balometer to check CFM to rooms. Plus a sling psychrometer or digital psychrometer for checking wet bulb/humidity levels.
I did not see a good vacuum pump listed, though the micron gauge was listed.
A Duct Blaster to check for duct system leaks, & a Blower Door instrument to check for amount of air infiltration, etc. Over Ten percent of the airconditioning latent/humidity load can come from humid air infiltration.
I forget the dry nitrogen cylinder with pressure regulators, for brazing & purging. I also always used an oxy-acetylene torch, with two small cylinders each so I wouldn't runout on the job, to carry up ladders.
It takes a big investment to have what you need to do it right! Plus a large parts inventory!
When the building rent, van, & Tech wages are figured in, -Who wants to total it up? Now you see part of why, (there is more,) contractors have to charge an ample rate to make a dime! - udarrell
--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCTWORK Sizing is over 70% of Operating Efficiency
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html
I see they have giving you idea what you will need but I don't see leak detector in the list, A what the heck I guess this guys never use one Dido

There is a bunch of stuff I forgot to put on the list.... it was I thought of off the top of my head.... I wasn't going to go do an inventory of what I had on my truck, just wanted to give him a basic list.

Dildo has the most experience with leaks....his own...
--
Respectfully, Bob

wrote

He gets his tools from Strap-On.
wrote

Why Thank you that is why I do not have any call backs Dido
Bob wrote:

Just buy basic tools and instruments, and go to work for a decent company that will have the more expensive tools and instruments. Now if your stupid enough to go from a classroom to starting a business, with no experience, then by almeans listen to these guys.
Otherwise as you slowly enter the trade you will know what tools are expected of you. If you join a trade union, you won't have to buy much at all, maybe a measuring tape.
burner1941 wrote:

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not planning to go into business with no experience right now. I just wanted to know about brand names and model numbers for basic tools and instruments. I acquired a TIF 8800 but after reading the problems people were having with false positives it seems that I have wasted my money. Just looking for advice what basic tools and test equipment that you feel are the best and what you used that was junk.
Years ago, I bought a Tif freon detector. And a Tif scale. Find out later that the Tif beeper can't find much of anything. I've also been considering put the scale on ebay, and buy another one. The scale gives me two totally different readings if I reset the scale and weight a jug of juice two different times. Not good.
Then I bought a Tek Mate, which I like a lot better. TPI for the combustible gas detector.
What's anyones reccomendation for charge weight scale?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Health-O-Meter

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 21:40:26 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"

Both of those scales are illegal in the world of commerce. IE selling anything by weight. Reason: they cannot be calibrated. By the way how many of you guys carry a calibratable scale, and actually have it in calibration with the certificate.
Keystone Scale Company
Make: AND
Model: FG-150K
300 Lb. capacity