time to replace the bryant

I have a rather old Bryant funace, series SE-G, upflow 100-394U according to the data plate. The wiring between the motor and a relay managed to touch a burner and short. In addition to melting the motor wiring together, some of the other control wiring attached to the fan control has shorted. I replaced the scorched wiring and it is running again but the severe corrosion I saw have scared me into looking for replacement.

Can anybody give me an idea how old this furnace may be? I haven't had any luck matching that series or part number in google, so I suspect it may date to the second world war.

Since I took the day off to fix this issue in case I needed to chase parts, I have been looking at replacement costs also. I see in this forum that concord is not a recommended brand. How about westinghouse, gibson? Are these all contractor grade/undesirable names? I would like to replace it myself - I used to be an aircraft mechanic so sheet metal, plumbing and wiring don't bother me.

What is a reliable brand to look at, keeping in mind that this is an old house and I would like to find parts when necessary. Mid range may be another way to express it.

Thanks

Reply to
doug46052

check Consumer Reports, then do a little homework, and call some local contractors to come talk to you about your system and what it needs to be brought up to current code.

Reply to
Noon-Air

For the DIY'er your furnace choices are limited, concord is a DIY'er type and easily available as are a few others; the better brands that you may want will be more difficult to get. Although installing a furnace is not rocket science and I'm sure you probably can install it and get it running so that it heats the house, you might want to think about the implication if there is a malfunction down the road after you sell the house and the owners want to bring a lawsuit against the contractor that installed the furnace (i.e., you).

Reply to
bungalow_steve

Doug, Dont be such a cheap ass. Some things are better left to the professionals. This is one of them. Get some info on your own from friends, neighbors and co-workers. Then get 3 estimates and and get the thing done. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba