thermostat - EM / Aux Heat

I have a heat pump that is controlled by a Honeywell CT3611 thermostat. Previously the thermostat use to be one of those "analog" type tstats. The "problem" I have with the Honeywell tstat is that it likes to kick on the aux heat (resistance) frequently which really causes the electric meter to spin. The previous thermostat would only use aux heat if I selected it. If I raise the temp by just one degree on the Honeywell tstat it turns on the aux heat. Is there a way to raise the trigger limit on the thermostat to tell it not to call for aux heat for temperature differences less than 5 degrees? Could I just disconnect the aux wire (and cap it) so as to prevent the aux / resistance heat from switching on?

Thanks,

-Giles

Reply to
Giles Harney

gotta love it when the clueless go to a big box store and gets a new thermostat. You forgot to include a lot of basic information like where are you located?? BTW...if you read the installer set-up directions, it will tell you what parameters to change.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I have and it doesnt. If you have something helpful to say in regards to my question I am all ears.

No need to be unpleasant. It was a question posted to a discussion forum.

I hope you are having a good day.

Reply to
Giles Harney

You *still* haven't told us where your located....there is a hell of a difference between Barrow Alaska, and Miami, Florida. Yes that is important.

The parameters that you wish to change are in the installer programming instructions.... oh, wait.... they don't always put those with the stats from Lowes or Home Depot. maybe you should contact Honeywell? there is a toll free number on the stat.....or does that actually make sense.......nahhh...thats too easy....never mind.

BTW...I wasn't being unpleasant... but I can be if you want.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Maryland

i could not find them in the instructions that came with it.

calling people names is being unpleasant.

thats childish. unless i am into S&M why would I want somebody to be unpleasant towards me?

Reply to
Giles Harney

Did you go through the setup program after you installed it???

Dr. Hardcrab

Of course. There are no parameters to adjust the deadbands mentioned in the manual / instructions.

Reply to
Giles Harney

"Giles Harney" wrote

Yeah sorry about that. I guess it's true what another poster posted:

You don't get the same manuals with the "big box" purchase. There is usually an installers manual.

BTW, that t'stat is no longer made....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

How long have you had the stat?