The thing I love most about this trade

Is.. Out smarting the tech reps. I don't often call tech support because usually they don't end up helping much. The latest case in point is on a GP regulator. Currently I'm working at an auto manufacturing plant repairing the heat side on some air houses. The latest weird problem (there all weird problems) was on a Maxon direct fired burner rated a 5.4 MBH. The gas pressure bounced the gauge at a

10" swing in low fire, high fire was ok. 10 psi inlet pressure manifold pressure ranges from 6 to 12"wc low to high. The rep said the vent piping was too small. I have 1" running out of the GPR vent for eight feet and increases to 1 1/4 for 20'. He says take the 1" out and go 1 1/4 all the way explaining that each 90 is 5' equivalent feet bla bla bla. I say ok. I went over to another air house and looked at the vent piping. Mirror image gas train and burner. Vent piped in 1". Not the piping I sez to myself as it was running fine in both low and high fire. I checked the vent piping for blockages and it is clear as a bell. Anyone wanna guess what the problem was. Its fixed now. PRV is an Invensys 243-12 2" with a 3/4" 10degree orifice and a 12-28"wc spring.

Ok you cant guess so ill tell ya. On the outlet of the vent there is a anti pulsation disc. The rod for the APD had come loose in the valve body boss. The rod is splined and a press fit into the valve body and was sticking out showing the spline for about 3/16" I pressed the rod back into the boss and lit it up. Walla no more problem. Tomorrow Ill go back with some red loctite and coat the spline and press it back in. Problem over. The rep called me back just as I was getting ready to call him to let him know what the problem was. He never heard of that before so we both learned something today. God I love this trade.... Sometimes. :)

Reply to
The King

You da man! I'm sure not many people would have found that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon