That's life. ( Dehumidifier )

No questions here, just relating how life works.
I have a small collection of dehumidifiers. All bought at garage sales or from thrift stores. The dehumidifier I have been using is now not working well. So it is time to get rid of it. And time to haul off some other de ad ones. So I looked at all of them to see if I could do anything. Two are R-12 ,so no hope there. _And two are R-22. Maybe I can give those to a guy with a license. And one uses R-134A. Ha, I could get a piecing valve and recharge that one .
So I took a good look at it and found the evaporator coil blocked by dust. Opening the case to clean the coil required a special screwdriver . Whic h may be why the previous owner did not clean the coil. After cleaning th e coil it seems to work well. Will keep an eye on it to see if it frosts u p, but looks good initially.
So that is life. The one I could recharge does not need it.
Dan
On 7/17/2016 11:16 AM, Dan wrote:

bought at garage sales or from thrift stores. The dehumidifier I have been using is now not working well. So it is time to get rid of it. And time to haul off some other dead ones. So I looked at all of them to see if I could do anything. Two are R-12 , so no hope there. _And two are R-22. Maybe I can give those to a guy with a license.

valve and recharge that one.

coil blocked by dust. Opening the case to clean the coil required a special screwdriver . Which may be why the previous owner did not clean the coil. After cleaning the coil it seems to work well. Will keep an eye on it to see if it frosts up, but looks good initially.

not need it.

Ah, interesting tale of experience. I won't tell you that the other dehum may also just need cleaning.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 6:38:38 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Good thought. The evaporator coil was visible on the one unit. Will have to removen the cases to see on the others.
Dan
On 7/18/2016 7:18 AM, Dan wrote:

Might be worth the labor, compared to buying a new one. I hope that works out well for you.
Please let us know.
--
.
Christopher A. Young