Tempstar Heat Pumps secondary heat isn't coming on during Defrost cycle

I am wondering if my heat pump's second-stage heat is not turning on during its defrost cycle.

Tempstar XL 5300 Heat Pump, installed new 5-07. Installation instructions 331823-701 (Oct 2005) Trane Air Handler, installed new in attic about 1999.

I know that dur "Defrost cycle is pre-set for 90 minutes." [but can be 30/60/90].

and

"Defrost Mode is identical to Cooling Mode except that outdoor-fan motor stops and second-stage heat is turned on to continue warming conditioned space."

The defrost cycle seems to have a 'normal' setting of 10 minutes, which seems kind of long to blow cold air when you need warm.

I'm not sure if this occurred during its first winter or not, but its definitely happening now in its 2nd winter.

Could this be an improper setting which can be changed..or something else? I'd like to troubleshoot this as much as possible before I call the installer because he's kind of a jerk and tries to talk his way out of having to come out for anything.

Thanks

Brian

Reply to
usethisone2007

Call a Tempstar dealer and have their service persons come out and check it over. They can make sure it is operating as designed and make any needed repairs or adjustments.

Reply to
Jim Dandy