T&P relief valve - nowhere to drain?

Page 1 of 3  
Hopefully someone can offer some guidance on a problem I have with my water heater.
It would seem that the boneheads that built my house 7 years ago failed to put the hot water heater in a location where the T&P relief valve can safely dump water to a drain. The water heater is installed in a small closet, below grade, and was placed on top of carpeting, underlay, and then the concrete foundation. I didn't even realize that it was normal for the T&P relief valve to activate periodically - I thought it was in the event of a catastrophic failure, but I now know that's not the case.
I just noticed that the carpeting is completely soaked, and there's mold growing in the carpet. I'm pretty sure it's not leaking from anywhere, so I have to assume the T&P relief valve is doing its thing.
There's no drain anywhere near the heater. Is there another alternative to placing a bucket under the drain tube?
On a side note, I'm not quite sure why the T&P valve would be activating so much lately, unless it's because we've been using more hot water since the arrival of our first child. I don't think the moisture problem in the water heater closet has been going on for long. I've been checking the drain tube periodically, and it doesn't appear there's a slow leak or anything.
Any advice?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
David wrote:

Normally, the T&P should never open.
The single most frequent cause of discharge is excessive pressure caused by thermal expansion. If you are on city water where pressure is very high and you have a PRV (regulator) , the expansion of water as the tank heats has nowhere to go. The pressure builds until the T&P valve opens.
The solution is relatively painless: http://www.zurn.com/pages/catalog.asp?ProductGroupID &OperationID The XT model expansion tank is added to the piping on the Cold inlet to the tank.
I've just skimmed over this topic. There are a host of considerations regarding service pressure and PRV's that may need to be looked at.
As for where to drain the discharge, some jurisdictions will permit discharge to open air outside (pipe thru wall).
Jim
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Unless, it's subject to freezing conditions.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

What on earth would freezing conditions have to do with 180-degree water?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
HeyBub wrote:

Suppose there is a slight leak from the valve and the discharge is outside. The outside portion could become blocked with ice. If the T&P valve should really have to do its job it can't because of the ice jam.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
George wrote:

I don't think so. A "slight" leak will generate an icicle. In the event the line IS blocked with ice, a let-loose pressure valve will blow the freakin' plug into the next county! Either that, or you'll have the nastiest pipe-bomb imaginable.
T&P valves aren't designed to "leak" or "relieve excess pressure." They are designed to simulate an SLV (Saturn Lauch Vehicle) by blowing all to hell. They don't tweet like a tea-pot, they go BOOM!
The "job" of a T&P valve is to prevent a hole in your roof from an exploding water heater. And scalding the cat.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

And can cause a line blockage. Anyway, it's against code!

freakin'
Whether their designed too or not, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. You've never saw one that was corroded because it had a slow leak? You're showing that you have no experience with PT valves.

Design and "what happens in the field" is sometimes two completely different things.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Goddamn it! Building codes specifically REQUIRE P&T valves to be vented outside (or an approved alternate - which never includes UP).

I agree they sometimes leak. Just like a water faucet sometimes leaks. What makes you assume I've never seen a leaky one? How did you reach that conclusion?

Right. Sometimes fail-safe systems fail by failing to fail safe. Sometimes fail-safe systems fail because a cretin installed them - as in not venting a P&T valve to the outside.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Bullshit, they are not required to be vented outside!!!!!
Matter of fact, it's against code to pipe them outside when they are subject to freezing weather! Now get a clue, dumbass!

What
You said they're not designed to leak. But in fact, many do...

a
When are you going to read up on PT valves and learn that you are *not* required to pipe them outside???? And that it's *against code* to do so, when they're subject to freezing temperatures????
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What
Sometimes
venting a

It's not *required* to be piped outside, no matter how many times Heybub says so...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Now you say UP is fine...
Geez, make up your mind...

valve
it's
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You're the one that posted that up is ok as long as it isn't exposed to freezing weather. Of course you are wrong but what do you care.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

sump
You like posting lies... must be because you tell so many.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

the
Maybe when you sober up you'll come back and read your own posts. Pretty silly there drunken, dancing, monkey boi. I post and you dance. It never fails.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Putz
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I know you are but what am I?
Maybe when you sober up you'll come back and read your own posts. Pretty silly there drunken, dancing, monkey boi. I post and you dance. It never fails.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Putz
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I know you are but what am I?
Maybe when you sober up you'll come back and read your own posts. Pretty silly there drunken, dancing, monkey boi. I post and you dance. *It never fails*.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Putz
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
<X-post canciled>

kj,
quit crossposting, and killfile the SOB
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.