Switching Off then to Heat to start heat on Trane?

Our gas fired Trane (model unknown but older) reaches temp set on thermostat but does not restart when temp falls below setting. Learned a trick a long time ago of switching thermostat to Off for 10 seconds, then back to Heat will sometimes work. This trick is doing it here, but getting pretty danged tired of getting up in the middle of the night in a 50 degree house to get the heat started again! Changed out the old theromostat (cicular dial mercury type) with a new programmable one, but problem persists. Anything I can do myself to check out the outside unit before committing a month's paycheck for a service call? Just bought this house (built in 1940) with a Trane unit that is less than 10 years old. More specifics available once it gets warm enough for me to venture outside again!

Reply to
HomeownerRetArmy

Steve Scott

On my Trane unit, this means the controller has detected a FAULT and shut down. Turning it to off resets the controller. Can you get the fault code? My thermostat has a light that blinks with the fault code.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

You shouldnt have changed out the stat with a digital. Those10 yr old Tranes work better the round Honeywell type. Get a new one. You might need to change the low voltage wiring bundle too. The unit can get out of phase with with a new digital stat so you need to change it back along with the new low voltage wiring. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Steve...superior idea....now your thinking like a homemoaner.... and I am not being smart mouthed....the homie will take that idea and run with it

Reply to
daytona°

Like the thread we had a while back. The HO figured out the furnace would work if he whacked on it. So, someone suggested wiring in an autowhacker.

Same general concept.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just like the NEW camels automated spankers...this way the abused and starved children don't have to ride them anymore

Reply to
daytona°

Clean the furnace filter...

-Canadian Heat