survived another one

lots of rain from Isaac... 18 inches or so here so far. not so much wind. Never lost power, lots of road closures due to flooding and/or trees down. no damage or flooding in my neighborhood.
When the rain quits, I will be waiting for the calls to come in from folks wanting me to condemn their systems so their insurance will buy them a new one. After Katrina, I had well over 200 of those.. All were 8 - 10 years old, never been opened up since they were installed. I only condemned ONE.... an 18inch pine tree shortened its design height by about a foot. The rest were pissed because after cleaning, service and repairs, they worked better than they ever had and the cost of the service and repairs was less than their deductable.
Wow, 200 calls to condemn system? Bunch of people out there think that "the company" owes them?
Is the weather for Sept 3 to 8 or so going to be reasonably stable? I've got a maybe trip to South Carolina.
lots of rain from Isaac... 18 inches or so here so far. not so much wind. Never lost power, lots of road closures due to flooding and/or trees down. no damage or flooding in my neighborhood.
When the rain quits, I will be waiting for the calls to come in from folks wanting me to condemn their systems so their insurance will buy them a new one. After Katrina, I had well over 200 of those.. All were 8 - 10 years old, never been opened up since they were installed. I only condemned ONE.... an 18inch pine tree shortened its design height by about a foot. The rest were pissed because after cleaning, service and repairs, they worked better than they ever had and the cost of the service and repairs was less than their deductable.
On 8/30/2012 8:53 AM, Steve wrote:

At least you're a professional with scruples. I got really mad at a fellow who owned a rather large outfit bragging about selling an old couple a complete new system when the only thing wrong was a loose blower door shutting down their system. O_o
TDD
I think it says in the holy books, that people who do that kind of thievery will have a super hot afterlife. If it doesn't say so, it ought to.
I saw a news team expose, years ago. A HVAC instructor from a college was called in, to check over a HVAC system for apartment. He unhooked a contactor wire, and left the wire nut in there. They called several companies, and got responses from replace entire system down to hook it back up, and let em off easy. One tech cut the contactor coil wire with diags, and gave them a story.
At least you're a professional with scruples. I got really mad at a fellow who owned a rather large outfit bragging about selling an old couple a complete new system when the only thing wrong was a loose blower door shutting down their system. O_o
TDD

Thanx
The key word there is "PROFESSIONAL"
FWIW, I still have many of those folks as customers.
On 8/30/2012 11:30 AM, Steve wrote:

The only residential AC service I've done this year after my friend GB died was to get the AC going for his widow and it was a defective blower door interlock switch. All the work I've done this year has been on many different types of commercial systems and a lot of it. Retailers seem to be spending a lot of money lately. We got an Email this morning from a national contracting outfit me and JH do work for. They want us to travel to over 50 locations in the state and inspect the electrical installations of electrical power hookups to outdoor equipment. Crap! I'm gonna be worn out! O_o
TDD
I may be in south Carolina and TN, next week. You need a young pup for a day or two? I need some gas money to get home.
The only residential AC service I've done this year after my friend GB died was to get the AC going for his widow and it was a defective blower door interlock switch. All the work I've done this year has been on many different types of commercial systems and a lot of it. Retailers seem to be spending a lot of money lately. We got an Email this morning from a national contracting outfit me and JH do work for. They want us to travel to over 50 locations in the state and inspect the electrical installations of electrical power hookups to outdoor equipment. Crap! I'm gonna be worn out! O_o
TDD
Some of those Twilight zone episodes had good examples for all of us. Of course, there are often many subtle lessons, that people miss.
Reminds me of "The Twilight Zone" episode where the rocket ship sent to another planet crashes back on Earth and the spacemen think they're on another planet with limited resources then start killing each other. The lone survivor tops a hill and starts laughing hysterically when he sees power lines and a highway. ^_^
TDD
On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 09:15:04 -0500, The Daring Dufas

wary of any tech he calls for service and when the honest tech shows up, that tech is often under a microscope of distrust.
Remember far back when usenet was in it's infancy? One thing we said was that we should write a post and then sit on it for awhile, to decide if it was worth posting and if the group would be made better or worse with the post. We also had respect for one another.
The perverbial "old couple" is full of stories in retirement areas of the country. Remember when solar first hit the market and the older generation was buying systems impossible to pay for in the years left to the homeowners.
face=Verdana>&gt; wrote:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt;On 8/30/2012 8:53 AM, Steve wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; lots of rain from Isaac... 18 inches or so here so far. not so much wind.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Never lost power, lots of road closures due to flooding and/or trees down.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; no damage or flooding in my neighborhood.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; When the rain quits, I will be waiting for the calls to come in from folks<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; wanting me to condemn their systems so their insurance will buy them a new<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; one. After Katrina, I had well over 200 of those.. All were 8 - 10 years<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; old, never been opened up since they were installed. I only condemned<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; ONE.... an 18inch pine tree shortened its design height by about a foot. The<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; rest were pissed because after cleaning, service and repairs, they worked<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; better than they ever had and the cost of the service and repairs was less<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; than their deductable.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;At least you're a professional with scruples. I got really mad at a <BR>&gt;&gt;fellow who owned a rather large outfit bragging about selling an old<BR>&gt;&gt;couple a complete new system when the only thing wrong was a loose <BR>&gt;&gt;blower door shutting down their system. O_o<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;TDD<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; One thing is certain, a customer reading this group is made a lot more<BR>&gt; wary of any tech he calls for service and when the honest tech shows<BR>&gt; up, that tech is often under a microscope of distrust.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Verdana></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#ff0000 face=Verdana>Yes my friend tech. is under microscope perhaps at many places but </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#ff0000 face=Verdana>I do not think that&nbsp;are many&nbsp;people&nbsp;that read this crap being posted here but?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#ff0000 face=Verdana>however the news media TV when they show some scum bags that actually </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#ff0000 face=Verdana>damaged the unit and then claim that it may need so many parts to </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#ff0000 face=Verdana>get it fix those scum's should be put out of business because are </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#ff0000 face=Verdana>making every body look bad including those that has being retired.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Verdana>&nbsp;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Remember far back when usenet was in it's infancy? One thing we said<BR>&gt; was that we should write a post and then sit on it for awhile, to<BR>&gt; decide if it was worth posting and if the group would be made better<BR>&gt; or worse with the post.&nbsp; We also had respect for one another.&nbsp; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The perverbial&nbsp; "old couple" is full of stories in retirement areas of<BR>&gt; the country.&nbsp; Remember when solar first hit the market and the older<BR>&gt; generation was buying systems impossible to pay for in the years left<BR>&gt; to the homeowners.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML> ------=
On 9/1/2012 11:57 AM, snipped-for-privacy@rhosos.not wrote:

Back in the 80's I actually looked into working for an outfit that was selling solar heating systems. It wasn't a scam, just overpriced like all multi level marketing. ^_^
TDD
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 18:36:45 -0500, The Daring Dufas

companies I came into contact with forcused on the older folk. Selling a system to someone 75 years old made no sense. He would have to live until over 100 before it paid for itself. I can't do that to anyone. I lived in a development in Arizona with 53 homes built in 2005-06. By 2010, 6 or 7 of the heat pumps had been replaced. Companies used the R-22 vs 410a issue to convince them to get rid of the R-22 units. A couple of them were 4 - 6 years old before they were ever installed.

They were pissed cause they weren't going to get a new system for "free".
On 8/30/2012 8:53 AM, Steve wrote:

Up here at the top ..All landscape watering is banned as of today.