survived another one

lots of rain from Isaac... 18 inches or so here so far. not so much wind. Never lost power, lots of road closures due to flooding and/or trees down. no damage or flooding in my neighborhood.

When the rain quits, I will be waiting for the calls to come in from folks wanting me to condemn their systems so their insurance will buy them a new one. After Katrina, I had well over 200 of those.. All were 8 - 10 years old, never been opened up since they were installed. I only condemned ONE.... an 18inch pine tree shortened its design height by about a foot. The rest were pissed because after cleaning, service and repairs, they worked better than they ever had and the cost of the service and repairs was less than their deductable.

Reply to
Steve

Wow, 200 calls to condemn system? Bunch of people out there think that "the company" owes them?

Is the weather for Sept 3 to 8 or so going to be reasonably stable? I've got a maybe trip to South Carolina.

.

When the rain quits, I will be waiting for the calls to come in from folks wanting me to condemn their systems so their insurance will buy them a new one. After Katrina, I had well over 200 of those.. All were 8 - 10 years old, never been opened up since they were installed. I only condemned ONE.... an 18inch pine tree shortened its design height by about a foot. The rest were pissed because after cleaning, service and repairs, they worked better than they ever had and the cost of the service and repairs was less than their deductable.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

At least you're a professional with scruples. I got really mad at a fellow who owned a rather large outfit bragging about selling an old couple a complete new system when the only thing wrong was a loose blower door shutting down their system. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I think it says in the holy books, that people who do that kind of thievery will have a super hot afterlife. If it doesn't say so, it ought to.

I saw a news team expose, years ago. A HVAC instructor from a college was called in, to check over a HVAC system for apartment. He unhooked a contactor wire, and left the wire nut in there. They called several companies, and got responses from replace entire system down to hook it back up, and let em off easy. One tech cut the contactor coil wire with diags, and gave them a story.

.

At least you're a professional with scruples. I got really mad at a fellow who owned a rather large outfit bragging about selling an old couple a complete new system when the only thing wrong was a loose blower door shutting down their system. O_o

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanx

The key word there is "PROFESSIONAL"

FWIW, I still have many of those folks as customers.

Reply to
Steve

They were pissed cause they weren't going to get a new system for "free".

Reply to
Steve

Up here at the top ..All landscape watering is banned as of today.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

The only residential AC service I've done this year after my friend GB died was to get the AC going for his widow and it was a defective blower door interlock switch. All the work I've done this year has been on many different types of commercial systems and a lot of it. Retailers seem to be spending a lot of money lately. We got an Email this morning from a national contracting outfit me and JH do work for. They want us to travel to over 50 locations in the state and inspect the electrical installations of electrical power hookups to outdoor equipment. Crap! I'm gonna be worn out! O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I may be in south Carolina and TN, next week. You need a young pup for a day or two? I need some gas money to get home.

.

The only residential AC service I've done this year after my friend GB died was to get the AC going for his widow and it was a defective blower door interlock switch. All the work I've done this year has been on many different types of commercial systems and a lot of it. Retailers seem to be spending a lot of money lately. We got an Email this morning from a national contracting outfit me and JH do work for. They want us to travel to over 50 locations in the state and inspect the electrical installations of electrical power hookups to outdoor equipment. Crap! I'm gonna be worn out! O_o

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Some of those Twilight zone episodes had good examples for all of us. Of course, there are often many subtle lessons, that people miss.

.

Reminds me of "The Twilight Zone" episode where the rocket ship sent to another planet crashes back on Earth and the spacemen think they're on another planet with limited resources then start killing each other. The lone survivor tops a hill and starts laughing hysterically when he sees power lines and a highway. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One thing is certain, a customer reading this group is made a lot more wary of any tech he calls for service and when the honest tech shows up, that tech is often under a microscope of distrust.

Remember far back when usenet was in it's infancy? One thing we said was that we should write a post and then sit on it for awhile, to decide if it was worth posting and if the group would be made better or worse with the post. We also had respect for one another.

The perverbial "old couple" is full of stories in retirement areas of the country. Remember when solar first hit the market and the older generation was buying systems impossible to pay for in the years left to the homeowners.

Reply to
john

Yes my friend tech. is under microscope perhaps at many places but I do not think that are many people that read this crap being posted here but? however the news media TV when they show some scum bags that actually damaged the unit and then claim that it may need so many parts to get it fix those scum's should be put out of business because are making every body look bad including those that has being retired.

Reply to
Grumpy

Back in the 80's I actually looked into working for an outfit that was selling solar heating systems. It wasn't a scam, just overpriced like all multi level marketing. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I looked at several systems when they first hit the market. The companies I came into contact with forcused on the older folk. Selling a system to someone 75 years old made no sense. He would have to live until over 100 before it paid for itself. I can't do that to anyone. I lived in a development in Arizona with 53 homes built in 2005-06. By

2010, 6 or 7 of the heat pumps had been replaced. Companies used the R-22 vs 410a issue to convince them to get rid of the R-22 units. A couple of them were 4 - 6 years old before they were ever installed.
Reply to
john