SuperHeat

Page 2 of 2

I have e-mailed the charts to pjm and he has posted them to his web site.
Here is the link to get the charts:
http://pmilligan.net/shcharts.zip
Stretch
Thanks Stretch and Paul for posting these.
This is what is so nice about this group, people in the trade helping others in the trade.
Thanks again you two. Rich

WAY!
Trane charts say 10 to 15 degrees, depending on type of system. Don't go by rules of thumb, you will get a brown thumb. Get Trane & Carrier charging charts and check those conditions again!
Stretch
Take this same day, assume the power has been off and it's mid afternoon. So, the DB inside is up, but specific humidity hasn't changed, @ 58.6 grains ( same as it was in the above )
DB 90, grains 58.6, WB = 66 ( RH 28 % ) ( OA still 95, as above )
66 * 3 = 198
WAY!
Trane charts say 10 to 15 degrees depending on type of system. Of course other manufacturers will have slightly different superheats. Get their charging charts instead of using a rule of thunb. Tour thubm might get smashed.
stretch
198 - 80 - 95 = 23
23 / 2 = 11.5 degrees of SH, under this max-load hot-startup extreme condition ??? Sorry, no way. That's like half or less of the SH you would expect.
RA 72 DB / 50 RH , WB = 60 , OA 95 ( hot normal day ) (60 * 3) = 180 180 - 80 - 95 = 5 5 / 2 = 2.5 degree SH ???? I don't think so !!!!! You're gonna have floodback !!!
Trane chart says 2 degrees - go fight with Trane, it is their charging chart. Under these conditions a small amount of liquid will not hurt, the hot motor windings will evaporate it!
RA 72 DB / 80 RH , WB = 67 , OA 70 ( cool rainy day, lots of building leakage ) ( 67 * 3) = 201 201 - 80 - 70 = 51 51 / 2 = 25.5 SH ???? I don't think so !!!!! ( this implies running a MUCH warmer coil, which is the WORST thing to do in this condition !
With an old Trane system, the superheat should be 29 degrees, with a New 11 SEER Trane system, the superheat should be 22 degrees, with a Trane packaged system, the superheat should be 28 degrees. depending on conditions, the superheat will vary from zero degrees to over 35 degrees. that is actual systems with piston metering device. If you want constant superheat, install a TXV. That is why a TXV is better than a piston. For efficiency, dehumidification, comfort!
RA 72 DB / 30 RH , WB = 54 , OA 80 ( warm dry day ) ( 54 * 3) = 162 162 - 80 - 80 = 2 2 / 2 = 1 SH ???? I don't think so !!!!!
Old Trane & Packaged Trane = 4 degrees, 11 SEER Trane = zero degrees.
Stop thinking and start measuring. Get a trane charging slide rule and a Carrier charging slide rule and see what the equipment manufacturers say. Or start using TXV on all your jobs and charge by subcooling. This is why I use a lot of Lennox! They use TXVs on almost everything split.
stretch
Barrie Hiern wrote:

That would be an equation of my own derivation, posted to this NG. It was suggested to me that I copyright it. OTOH, anything published is automatically protected under copyright law as "intellectual property". If you publish this equation in any form you must send me 10 U.S. dollars via pay pal for each copy generated. Valid email in header.
Richard Perry
Richard Perry

    Damn ! You just struck it rich !
    That's now been replicated on at least 100,000 computers !!! Someone owes you $ 1,000,000 !!!!
    Do you take Paypal ?????
    Oh, what the hell - here's another $ 1,000,000 for you !!!!!

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

;)
How've you been? Did you just...yes you DID post it again! Shit, I think I'll start shopping for that private aisle and yacht! Don't worry Paul, if you do a search you'll find that I granted universal permission to use it as desired. Not too smart, but then you set the worst example of marketing with your pjmtherm :)
Richard Perry

    You'd be surpised :-)
pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

As best I recall, didn't you offer the source code for free as well? Must be more savants out there than I suspected :) You've apparently tapped into the pockets of the PBS and/or Swaggart Minstries audiences.
Richard Perry
RP wrote:

BTW, yes, just kidding there.

    Cough cough gag .......
    Ummm.... no :-) Homey may be crazy, but Homey ain't stupid :-)
    And, trust me - NO ONE but me and Andy could deal with that beast !!!!!

    More like The First Holy Church of UTC :-)
    More than that, can not say here - email if interested ( and in future developments soon to come ) :-)
RP wrote:

Aisle?? Oh, well, that's probably all that I'll manage anyway. Make it one in Walmart, the one with the toy yachts on it, and I'll be ok.
Richard Perry
and yacht!

Barrie Hiern wrote:

Jul 23 2003 http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.hvac/msg/0e62b41aac705551?dmode=source