Stupid Duct Question

Hey... I have to cut out return and supply openings in a basement spare room from the duct that is already there on the ceiling (it's the end of run for both s/r ducts that enter the room I made about 2 feet in). They are square ducts. Can I make the openings in the *end* of the ducts? Or do I have make the openings on the side? Any required distance from the end (if side holes req.)? Just wondering, since I've noticed that take-offs are always from the sides or top/bottom and there's always a bit left over on the end--is that on purpose for design or just to leave a bit for future use?
I know, it's basic, but you are the pros... hehehe
Peace, Dan
We found that side air is far superior to end air.
Either that, or taking a vent off the end provides a higher air flow than from the side. So, we keep it fairly consistent.
As to your cellar, go ahead and try it.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Last run should be approx 3 ft from the end of the duct. This allows the duct work to properly pressurize (filling the ducts with air) and distribute the air evenly. Bubba
to pre-pressurize the ducts before firing the furnace!
Bubba wrote:

Do the same rules apply to the return as to the supply? I assume that it's the same rate of airflow both ways? Peace, Dan
No.

We\'re not lost -- we\'re locationally
challenged. --John M. Ford

Yes and no. You have to properly size the return openings. If you punch a big hole in the return close to the furnace and a bunch of others further down the line on the return away from the furnace the air is going to take the path of least resistance. It will try to pull all its return from that big hole closest to the furnace. Bubba
Thanks folks.. I cut a hole in the end of the return and the side of the supply. On the return end I put an adjustable flap so I can close it enough to make a bigger resistance if necessary.... it sure is hard to find proper covers for a 1950s 8x9" box... The "pros" at the shop said it must be 8x10" and suggested I didn't measure right. Why are so many people in this industry so damn rude and ignorant?????
Peace, Dan

Fuck! I dunno. Probably because we are so tired of all these god damn stupid tight-ass homeowners? Blow me Bubba :-)
Bubba wrote:

Easy there boy... I didn't say ALL, nor did I imply anyone here; And are you telling me that you've never gone to buy some parts from the supply place and met with some idiot who refuses to accept what you're telling them? Who treats you like you are more ignorant than he? Hey, if these guys knew their stuff, maybe they wouldn't be salesmen...
Peace, Dan
Actually, I think YOU missed my point entirely. Bubba

Many service techs would prefer to do their own work. Not sell parts to cheapass home moaners.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Nope. Return can be much smaller. Air expands greatly when heated, so supply must be larger.