Sting Team exposes a/c Techs ripping off consumers .

Page 2 of 5
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes.. lol! Peace

dino-MITE! Hey, Rerun. Lets go down to the corner and get us a couple malted?
Christopher A. Young Learn more about JJ Walker www.lds.org .

Stormin Mormon wrote:

You're causing me flashes of Dragnet and Room 222 w/Karen Valentine...

No need to thank me. I'm a professional.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

You're causing me flashes of Dragnet and Room 222 w/Karen Valentine...
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Don't people thank you for your work (anymore)?
Are most of your customers mean and ornery?
Maybe people have changed. I still watch Andy Griffith sometimes (may he RIP).
Bill

Very, very few people say thank you, more than a quick courtesy when the job is complete. I can only remember one thank you card in the last several years. And that was helping some church folks move house.
I like the Andy Griffith show, back when life was simple. People left the keys in the car, and the back door unlocked. A high crime and reign of terror was the hobo from the train, stealing a chicken and a pie. Got Barney all excited, and calling for tear gas, and machine guns.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Don't people thank you for your work (anymore)?
Are most of your customers mean and ornery?
Maybe people have changed. I still watch Andy Griffith sometimes (may he RIP).
Bill
Had an incident tonight. Came home from the beach and the A/C quit about an hour later. I opened the box and found a snake wrapped around the capacitor, contactor and control board, fried. It was a Rat Snake, about 15" long. I removed him and called the guy who did an installation here at this house last December. I don't carry parts anymore and have a limited amount of tools. I wanted him to give me a price on changing out the condensing unit. Before we bought this place, the owner replaced the inside furnace unit with a unit that will work on 410a & 22. They gave me a price of $1740.00 installed. This would give me a complete 410a unit and a decent warranty. Just wanted to report this under the subject heading which made a lot of folks look bad. I didn't say anything about the snake. He found a bad capacitor, changed it, charged me $75. These guys are as honest as the day is long. He came out tonight at 8 pm. It is 10:30 and cool inside now.
On 7/19/2012 9:27 PM, John Rhosos wrote:

That was a darn good price for a service call and parts replacement. The larger service organizations can't do a service call that cheaply so it appears that you have an AC service tech you should stick with. ^_^
TDD

*ONLY* $75?? He's not going to be in business very long at that rate. That didn't even cover the actual costs of the service call, let alone the cost of the capacitor, or his time. This is a case of the customer ripping off the tech.
Steve wrote:

You know of course that you can often get a capacitor for less than $5 or $6. I'm sure the tech charged what he thought was fair for the amount of work he did. $75-90 for a quickly diagnosed capacitor problem seems about right, depending on locale.
On 7/20/2012 9:26 AM, Bill wrote:

A one or two horse company may do that for a good customer. Me and my late friend GB would charge little or nothing at times to old folks on a fixed income who needed repairs or even someone we knew who was having a hard time. We helped out one old fellow then his whole family started calling for repairs at full price. ^_^
TDD
With the exception of congress, free work often turns into paid work. http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jokes/read/80610211 /
A one or two horse company may do that for a good customer. Me and my late friend GB would charge little or nothing at times to old folks on a fixed income who needed repairs or even someone we knew who was having a hard time. We helped out one old fellow then his whole family started calling for repairs at full price. ^_^
TDD
On 7/20/2012 9:26 AM, Bill wrote:

Service calls here, run from $85 to $120. Elderly and certain others get a $20 discount on call and 15% on work and parts. Some are free. I have been known to trade work for a feeder calf etc...Even a side of beef or Pork.

The tech along with a whole lot of other folks need to take some business courses to understand the *TRUE* cost of running a business.... unless your doing it for a hobby, and not doing it for a living.
Steve wrote:

Oh more training, the cost of which should be passed on to the constomer, just so they can understand why they should raise their prices? TYVM! ; ) I'm willing to pay for the thread to mend the pockets of those like yourself who seems to be losing money somehow! How many feet long is your boat?

Sorry sport, no expensive toys here, and very few inexpensive ones.
The base overhead for my company, is close to $60,000 per year before salaries and taxes .... and yes the truck is paid for. $20,000 of that is advertising, $10,000 of that is phones, cellular, and cable(broadband and weather channel)... thats half of the cost of running my company... I could give you the complete list with all of the costs and expenses, but you get the idea. The customer pays for *EVERYTHING*. There is a lot more to running a legitimate HVAC company than just a can or refrigerant, gauge manifold and reciept book, and it all costs money, and like it or not, the customer pays for all of it.
On 7/21/2012 8:51 AM, Steve wrote:

The great majority of folks just don't grok those simple little facts do they? I suppose the Parts Fairy delivers parts and Pixie Dust for fixing everything? I'm fond of the Gasoline Fairy myself, without her I would be unable to get around. ^_^
TDD
People often ask me for discounts. I try to politely explain that the gas station, rent, grocery store, etc. don't give me discounts to pass along.

The great majority of folks just don't grok those simple little facts do they? I suppose the Parts Fairy delivers parts and Pixie Dust for fixing everything? I'm fond of the Gasoline Fairy myself, without her I would be unable to get around. ^_^
TDD
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I ALWAYS get a "discount" when I buy a used car; I got a 25% price-cut on my recent tree services in the same manner. Since little is being written down, except a final price, alot seems open to negotiation. I took my car to a dealership yesterday, and they "broke down" the work done and the pricing into more than 9 details. As much as I hate having work done at the dealerships, I have learned to be more more watchful rgarding the AC-repairman. From reading here, I have learned a little about how to protect myself (I won't leave their side!)

I encourage my customers to ask questions, and get informed about the single most expen$ive appliance in their home, however..... my prices are non negotiable. The price in my book is the price they pay, and no, I do not break down my pricing... peroid.
OTOH, I don't have a problem with firing a customer that expects me to provide my services for free, and be married to that system forever for free. That ain't gonna happen. I will however, give him a referal number for the cheapest, low rent, unlicensed hack that I know.