stainless

Page 1 of 2
Stainless steel boilers DO rust. Correct?

Rust never sleeps

Any metal will corrode in the right environment.
It's stainLESS steel.
Noon-Air wrote:

StainLESS is not stainPROOF. I wasn't disagreeing with you. Or was that over your head? There's no single answer to all your other questions as it would depend on the grade of stainless steel. Some of that crap from china barely even qualifies as stainless.
Noon-Air wrote:

Noon-Air wrote:

Geez, relax relax already--previous poster is agreeing with you. He said stainLESS. As in bullet RESISTANT.
BTW, OP can find an authoritative answer here http://www.ssina.com/corrosion/general.html (but not 'till next year--site's apparently down for maintenance) or here http://search.nace.org/query.html?col=&qc=&qt=stainless&submit1%22=Go or here
It absolutely does corrode, but there are things you can do to prevent it.
Assuming that the designer spec'ed the correct material for the application to begin with, the most common corrosion problems occur after welding or machining. Even if the correct WFM was used, either process will leave a surface that's much less corrosion resistant than before.
Google "passivation" and you'll probably find the answers you're looking for.
Oops--forgot to paste the third link... www.steel.org it's the "american iron & steel institute"

Well does stainless rust it depend where is use so answer could be yes and no, in very hot and humid area yes stainless could rust and very heavily depend on concentration of oxygen in immediate area, less oxygen quicker and more rapidly rust will take effect, also depend what grade of stainless it is I would suggest that you ask that question to some one that is expert in metallurgy
good luck from Dido

What the hell does "Hot" have to do with rusting? Bubba

The answer to your question is? think what does heat do to oxygen in enclose tight places Dido

warming??? Bubba
Bubba posted for all of us...

OH! OH! PICK ME! PICK ME!! I know the answer to this one! It makes it hot, so......... You close the return air vent to make it cooler, right?? ROTFLMAO!!!!
--
Respectfully, Bob

If there is such thing as award for being dumb I am sure would qualified for at list two Have Happy Holiday from Dido
wrote

Then maybe you'd better open a window, then get someone turn down the t/stat for you....before the brain damage is permanent...assuming it's not already to late for you....
--
Respectfully, Bob

Yes my friend we all know how good you are by Dido
wrote

wrote

His window won't open because he licks it all the time, and the drool on the aluminum window has rusted it tight in the closed position...
There is actually no such thing as true stainless steel. It's a common mis-conception. There are over 150 different types of "stainless teel" though they say, so go figure hahaha
I would buy some rust buster to solve your boiler problem :P
-CanadianHeat
-- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- -

In the true spirit of Christmas:
Blow me.