"Smart" furnace control add-ons? Any direct experience?

I'm looking at a couple of these "add-on" controllers - such as the Beckett HeatManager (http://www.becketthm.com /) or the IntelliCon - HW (http:intellidynellc.com) - getting ready for my 600 gal burn (data from last winter). 10% at $4.70/gal would save me nearly $300 - cost of unit in one season!
Does anyone have any direct experience? Actual cost of unit and actual savings?
They claim to save 10-20% on fuel consumption - one supplier even guarantees a "buy back" if you don't save at least 10%.
The basic theory seems to be that the units "hold off" a call for heat based on the heat load (as determined by rate of cooling), thus capturing residual heat stored in the boiler/system before allowing the burner to fire. Call for a firing by the Aquastat for domestic hot water (tankless system) put the units in bypass mode.
The web sites have lots of glossy brochures, and slick testimonials, but I'm looking for real user experience.
Thanks for info!
Grov
<snip>
Manythanks! That's just the kind of info I am looking for!
Grov

Are you going to buy one of those gas saving gizmos for your car too? The PT Barnum axium applies here. idiot.
Grover wrote:

There are no free lunchs and no perpetual motion machines.
F-tank had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/hvac/Smart-furnace-control-add-ons-Any-direct-experience-33561-.htm :
I have installed a couple of the heat manger and a couple of dozen of better model Intellicon HW+ these over the course of the last 2 years and i have very satisfied customers with no call backs, the nice part is that Intellicon is guaranteed or the customer gets their money back, So i recomend and would also going with the better model Intellicon HW+ as they are both made by Intellidyne and there is a heck of lot more for what you get for the money ------------------------------------- Grover wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 25063 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##