Slow list

Not much action, here. Everyone been busy replacing capacators and so on?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not much happening anywhere. drove by one of my competitors places mid afternoon last week, all 6 of his service trucks were sitting in the parking lot.... same again yesterday. My company has gone from a 2 - 3 week backlog, to 3 - 4 service calls a week.

I have 2 dozen customers that need new systems that just don't have the $$$ and can't get the financing.... even through the power company. Anybody that

*has* money is holding on to it, and only spending for essentials.

Seems like the first of July, it was like somebody threw a switch.... everything stopped. traffic on the street cut by 2/3, stores parking lots almost empty...even walmart. According to the local store owners that I deal with, the incidence of bad checks has doubled since the first of July also.

Reply to
Steve

Me and my buddy GB have been fairly busy even though we can't push ourselves like we used to so we don't go looking for work, it finds us. This continuous hot weather has been rough on me. I get home and have to change clothes because I'm soaking wet and run down. I call G. in the morning and ask, "Hey buddy, how are you this morning?", G croaks, "Uhhhhhh", "Do you think we can take care of Mr. Jones today?", "Uhhhhhh", "OK, I'll call you later.", "Uhhhhhh K".

Right now my legs feel like they're made of lead. My hair hurts, my toenails itch and my eyeballs are squeaking. I don't know how much I'll be able to do today but I have to try.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I've heard the actual unemployment rate is sky high. 17% or more. The economy is at a standstill, till we figure out what evil surprises the Fed has planned.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've been fortunate to have one customer who keeps me busy. I'm not quite to your advanced age and senility, but I am not far off. I know the concept of getting home tired, and not sure if I want to answer the phone the next day. I know however, that with this high unemployment I'd bloody well better get the phone, or people will find someone else.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There are a number of folks out there who are welcome to call someone else. You probably know a few. I forget who they are, you how senility is......

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Got a call, a year or so ago. From a woman living in a trailer, in a park. She's about five feet tall, and about five feet wide. Aparently, she had some thing in the brain that her furnace flue pipe was leaking, and going to kill her with monoxide. Aparently, someone else had come out and shown her pictures of the inside of the pipe. I looked, and find the flue pipe to be in excellent shape. There wasn't a lot of room, but I could see the pipe, and it was looking brand new. I told her I figured she was being scammed by some operators. She wanted me to go to the roof, pull the top apart, and check from there. I gently declined.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It looks like you are describing me I don't work full days but dogone it traveling distances getting to me, on top of that customer are not making it convenient for service person to have easy access to you vehicle and tools most of time I get more tire taking bloody tolls in and out then actual work I hope I can physically hold on till end of year that is it!!!

Reply to
Grumpy

Getting old sucks, G. is going on 70, I'm fast approaching 60 and I tend to push myself too damn hard. Some days I can put out but I'm useless the next day. I used to go 24 hours some times to get a job finished, of course, I'd take the next day off. If I go 12 or 16 hours now, it takes a week to recover! Access? Stairs are a horror story for me and G. I helped G. this morning with an air handler with a squirrel cage that was completely clogged. It was the worst either of us had ever seen. I just got off the phone with G. and he's on the site with a helper finishing up cleaning the A coil which took a couple of hours to get access to and clean. It was extremely clogged up. I need a remote control robot so I can sit in the truck and work. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I got tired of carrying my full kit into malls. Got a fishing tackle box from Walmart, and put just the essentials in. Tenway screw driver, small vise grips, VOM, and so on. I can do most of the calls with my "jump kit" now.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like time to be in the call center, and talk the new techs through their problems. Drive a desk all day. Never mind the stairs, or ladders. Ladders are bad, too.

But, since you'll keep working. Ibuprophen is your friend.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I hear you loud and clear. As matter of fact I took today off I have four jobs waiting for next week one in Newtown PA, one in Waterford NY, one in Florham park NJ and one at Picatinny Arsenal NJ. three of them wanted for Monday which is not going to happen somebody will be unhappy sorry to say!

Reply to
Grumpy

Hey, he balanced the state budget without raising taxes. THANK the man !!!!

I can't even do that - my parole officer said so :-(

Expand your horizons - the two legged ones are ALWAYS in season !

There ya go.

Serious drinking problem there !

Stop crapping on your TV.

Reply to
.p.jm.

What kind of jobs? Cleaning coils, or what?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I hardly ever clean the coil I leave that up to customer

Reply to
Grumpy