Single Room HRV in north america?

Page 2 of 2

Hi Dan,
The issue is that I have no existing ductwork in the house so a ducted solution will require running all the necessary ducting. Fine, thats not too complicated.
Next issue is finding suitable holes for the outside supply and return vents. Its a bit tricky in my situations but I might be able to do it. Also two holes to drill instead of one.
No, its not too bad, but I would be tempted to get it installed anyways in this situation whereas the single-room unit I would not.
Nevertheless, it seems stunningly clear to me at this point that the answer to my original question is "No, these units do not exist in North America". It would have been nice to receive that answer but I suppose Usenet beggars cant be choosers :-)
Thanks anyways for all of your advise. It has been informative and has gotten me thinking a little bit!

bob smith wrote:

Ooops--I forgot that you have no forced-air system/ducting. I'm curious why you need two holes to the outside? There are attactments you can buy (from the HVAC supply place--although you'll pay 3x the cost for them) where you hook up both the in and out into one pipe and it is split on the outside end (and only one end-cap/cover).
Anyway, sounds like an opportunity for importing the European stuff here!
Peace, Dan