Single Room HRV in north america?

Those links look really interesting... but FYI, the Venmar units that are very common up here where I am have optional instructions of installation that do not use ductwork--you simply put the return at the higher level of the home and the supply at the bottom (ie. basement) from the HRV (using flex. duct) and it's "proper". Very easy to install--I did one myself (though I used a separate return but fed the supply into the ductwork). Why not put the return upstairs (you can use the space between two studs in the wall as a "duct") and ventilate the whole house? It wouldn't cost any more--save for some extra flex. duct to the wall and a cap for the wall exterier upstairs...

Peace, Dan

Reply to
dantheman

Hi Dan,

The problem with not using ductwork is that the unit would have to be in the same room. Fine for a small quiet unit like the links I gave but for Venmar or any whole-house unit they are quite large and noisy to put in a finished room.

You are right that it wouldnt cost much more to ventilate the rest of the house, but its an old home that doesnt require active ventilation whereas this newly finished room is extremely airtight (by design - its designed to be soundproofed).

Plus, I want it to cost a lot less :-) (like less than a grand for parts and labor)

Reply to
bob smith

If the rest of the house is leaky, why not just use a n inline bathroom type fan so the motor is downstream, and just install a passive return to the first floor

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

What does your architect recommend? Why are you doing work that you are not qualified to do?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

shinesapp

Because man do not seem to be helpless Dido

Reply to
AKS

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
shinesapp

Thats definitely an option. The problem is that that will defeat the soundproofing of the room to a great extent to whatever rooms upstairs are connected.

Reply to
bob smith

Why would I have an architect for a house built 50 years ago?

Who says I'm doing the work myself?

Why are you such a dick?

Reply to
bob smith

I DO HAVE A WINDOW BUT IT WOULD BE RETARDED TO OPEN IT THE MIDDLE OF WINTER.

THANKS A LOT ASSHOLE.

PS: LEARN TO TYPE IN lowercase

bob smith

You are a dumbass seeking free advice for your problem here. We can't see what you've got. We don't know where you live. We don't care about your problem anyway.

Take your pathetic cheap c*ck-sucking ass on down the road and hire a professional to evaluate your situation, recommend a solution, and to properly install it.

Now, go away.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

The Venmar unit I have can be installed in the attic...

Yes, they are--especially in "boost" mode.

I have a 50yr old home but after I replaced all the windows and doors (with hi-perf. fiberglass), the humidity levels went through the roof. Even though you lose thermal heat through uninsulated walls, it doesn't mean that you're losing 'air'. So you can end up with a cold space that is tight and stale/humid.

The Venmar cost me $699CAN plus $125CAN for the installation kit and frankly, it's a really easy install. I bought it at Home Depot.

Peace, Dan

Reply to
dantheman

Wow, I didnt know retarded children liked to hang around HVAC forums....

I never asked for a solution, I asked about the existance of a product. Big difference.

Now, go f*ck yourself.

Reply to
bob smith

There are lots of HRVs and ERVs out there..... Google is your friend.

The only decision you gotta make is do your want it done? or do you want it done right?? Call you favorite local HVAC professional.

Reply to
Noon-Air

installed "right" yourself. I know, because I just did it recently. And it works fantastically.

The big plus is a company who is willing to provide some good service... I was lucky that the unit I bought is made by one of those companies (Venmar).

For one, the instructions provided cover a wide variety of applications and methods and quite detailed. Also, I made two calls for advice on the "best" method in two situations I came across and they not only listened to me (a non-professional) but fully answered my questions and gave me the information that I needed (these were situations where there was a couple of options in the installation manual but obviously one was best for my situation).

Some companies won't even sell their product to DIYs, let alone answer technical questions.

And you can take extra time and tape the joints and cuts real nice--something I rarely see in "professional" work...

Peace, Dan

Reply to
dantheman

I have found many HRVs and ERVs, but no "single-room" type units like I described above in North America.

I have called many local guys who have never heard of any such thing as I am describing above. However, like many things in life, the amount of available options is usually much greater than what the local guys are selling.

With regards to getting it installed, I cant imagine a single-room, through the wall unit would require any particular expertise to install, so I would install that myself. However, for a complicated ducted scenario I would obviously get it installed. The problem is that the latter scenario is way overpriced for my needs to service a single room.

Reply to
bob smith

Hey top-posting lazy-ass cheapskate dumbshit:

Bite me!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Seriously bob, there is absolutely nothing complicated about installing a whole-house HRV into ductwork. The only real decision is where to locate the return for the HRV (the supply goes into the return duct for the furnace). In fact, one approved method is to take the return for the HRV from the return of the furnace too--only it has to be at least

3ft. before the point where you connect the supply from the HRV back into the return of the furnace. This way you do all the connections right at the unit and return plenum for the furnace (both located in the same area I assume).

The rest is the same as you describe for single-room ie. you have to make a big hole in the outside wall for the outside in/out (can be in one pipe called a "tandem" or similar).

The only tough part is cutting the 2 holes in the ductwork nice.

Peace, Dan

The problem is that the

Reply to
dantheman

Hi Dan,

The issue is that I have no existing ductwork in the house so a ducted solution will require running all the necessary ducting. Fine, thats not too complicated.

Next issue is finding suitable holes for the outside supply and return vents. Its a bit tricky in my situations but I might be able to do it. Also two holes to drill instead of one.

No, its not too bad, but I would be tempted to get it installed anyways in this situation whereas the single-room unit I would not.

Nevertheless, it seems stunningly clear to me at this point that the answer to my original question is "No, these units do not exist in North America". It would have been nice to receive that answer but I suppose Usenet beggars cant be choosers :-)

Thanks anyways for all of your advise. It has been informative and has gotten me thinking a little bit!

Reply to
bob smith