Should my condensor fan run when heat is on?

Real basic question I think about HVAC.
I replaced my thermostat on our HVAC system the other day and when i kicked on the heat, it turned on the fan that's in the condensor outside (that big thing I usually associate with air conditioning). is that normal? I don't remember that thing ever running... the heat works, I just wasn't sure if that fan is supposed to be going...
It's an electric system, if you need to know....
Thanks everyone...

Depends...maybe normal maybe not.

Electric system?? Thats like saying your replaced the keys in your car and it runs on gasoline. Is it normal for it to make that noise?? WTF???
How about post make, and model..... if you can't figure that out, is it straight a/c with strip heat?? or a heat pump??
--
Steve @ Noon-Air Heating & A/C

Stop calling me for freebies!

The new one is a Ritetemp 6060. I replaced a robertshaw thermostat. I have all the colors connected correctly, the ritetemp people verified it... i'm tihnking that a jumper is off.
I don't know about it being a heat pump, i'm sorry...

Look for a sticker on the outside unit that says "listed heat pump"

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 07:45:33 -0700 (PDT), RedDwarf

Sorry Dwarf but if you cant figure out whether or not you have a heat pump you had ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS replacing a thermostat. Bubba

http://66.240.176.216/store/2106501-06i.html
this is the unit I have outside, apparently - it's a heat pump. Ive noticed the fan on the unit only runs for a little while - and then stops. I thought heat pump fans only turned on when it was really cold out? it's only like 50 here...
either way, the heat in the house is working... i just wasn't sure if this was normal.
You have to let these A/C units know it's winter. I prefer a piece of plywood & a cement block on top, but many go to Home Depot/Lowe's & buy the nice big plastic covers. When you throw a blanket over one of these units, it knows it can take a nap. A stuffed bear might make it happier & buy a couple more years of operation... A well rested condenser is a happy condenser.
As for the heat Pump, it should only operate when it's really cold... Like 65dF (or below stat setpoint) inside your house.
Great TV series, lousy HVAC Tech... How old's the cat?
geothermaljones

http://66.240.176.216/store/2106501-06i.html
this is the unit I have outside, apparently - it's a heat pump. Ive noticed the fan on the unit only runs for a little while - and then stops. I thought heat pump fans only turned on when it was really cold out? it's only like 50 here...
either way, the heat in the house is working... i just wasn't sure if this was normal.
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 05:44:29 -0700 (PDT), RedDwarf

minute off cycle on your model. Your welcome.
http://66.240.176.216/store/2106501-06i.html
this is the unit I have outside, apparently - it's a heat pump. Ive noticed the fan on the unit only runs for a little while - and then stops. I thought heat pump fans only turned on when it was really cold out? it's only like 50 here...
either way, the heat in the house is working... i just wasn't sure if this was normal.
One comment I would make:
If you didn't buy a heat pump thermostat, and the PROPER t'stat (1 stage cool, 2 stage heat IF that is what you have), then you may get a big surprise when your electric bill comes....
RedDwarf wrote:

Robertshaw, [if my memory serves me correctly] makes many different types and styles. Do you know which one you have? Because if you have a heat pump, it could require a 'special' thermostat. On the other hand, if you have electric heat with a heat pump, that could require a different 'special thermostat.' But if you have an electric strip heat, and split system air conditioning, then you might need a standard - special thermostat.
You probably better ask Bubba. He's the resident expert on thermostats!
--
Zyp

Im still wondering that........if he has all the "colors connected correctly" how did all those low voltage electrons figure out which color to go through first and HOW did the "ritetemp people verify: that those colors were the right colors? Im thinking that the electricty is just confused with all those colors and the OP needs to run new polarized shielded stranded low voltage low loss wiring with a new color matching shielded non polarized digital set back thermostat. That should take care of the fan problem. Bubba

Need to find out first if the wires are twisted clockwise or counter clockwise

Only matters below the equator wire spools run counter clockwise to negate the coriolis effect. So you have to run the wire off the spool completely and start running from the inside end (tic)
Noon-Air wrote:

So that's what they mean when they say "twisted pair." Here I tought it meant that two sisters were.... whoops sorry...
--
Zyp

And if they are rj45, utp or fiber. That's really important. Your welcome.
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:40:38 -0700 (PDT), RedDwarf

It's only normal if you have gas heat. Your welcome.