Should I Use A Dehumidistat In The Summer?

I just moved into a house in Florida this past Spring which has a thermostat and a separate dehumidistat. The dehumidistat apparently controls the air conditioner separately from the thermostat. Even if the thermostat is off, the dehumidistat will kick on the A/C if it is set below the actual humidity level in the house.
Should I use both of them in conjunction with one another during the summer? If not, I'm wondering why the dehumidistat was even installed since there is not a dehumidifier in the house.
Thanks in advance!

yes The A/C *IS* the dehumidifier

Why would I need a separate dehumidistat, though?

Some new units have a variable speed DC blower that runs on very low speed for dehumidification, on low speed it is said to remove twice the water per hour while cooling little. If you have one of the VSDC blowers you are lucky as its low speed design is humidity removal.

Would be nice to have one of those, but I don't.
Bubba already answered that question.

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:56:19 -0400, "Dutch Buckhead"

Isn't this really a humidistat? Connected to something that dehumidifies.
I'm sort of reminded of my grandmother who had diabetes and tried especially to buy diabetic food, instead of dietetic food like the doctor recommended.

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:56:19 -0400, "Dutch Buckhead"

Usually, this separate de-humidistat is put into homes in Fla where the house is left unoccupied for lenghty times. You can turn the temperature up to say 85 degrees or whatever you want but set the de-humidistat to a setting that wont let mold and mildew ruin the structure. These are installed in a lot of southern rental homes. Bubba
Well Dutch As you have been told that your AC is dehumidifier. getting control of humidity can be achieved two three different ways most simplest way is variable circulation fan motor by reducing speed of motor you are at same time reducing temperature of your cooling coil, resulting taking much more of moisture out. Note: motor does not need to be a variable it could be multi speed which it serve same purpose. The other ways is by adding preheat coil before the evaporator or adding electrical heater elements both configuration will do practically same job. Question remain why? well since you are in Florida where humidity could be high all year round that would be easiest way maintaining desirable humidity range inside any enclosure such as in this case house. With electrical elements you need to have fat valet because you would be bucking cooling with heat. Tony www.cas-environ.com

Hi Tony,
I usually understand what you say, but why would he need a fat valet? maybe he does not have a car to be parked?
A fat wallet has a wad of money, though.

Now I think you are originally from Switzerland or Germany if you use a V for a W
I have a wallet in my pocket, not a valet.
We all understand you don't want to heat up a house with heating elements if your intention is to cool it.

NO....
YOu are Tony.

elements
Wow....